K&n air filter set up for 2001 3.4 tacoma... A good idea?

You do mean air filter, right? Not cold air intake..? Air filters don't really give you any horsepower, just makes it easier for air to get to the engine over a standard air filter. As for a cold air intake... Probably 5-10 horsepower, tops.

Now I'm no mechanic, but I'll take a beer and look at your truck anyway...

I've got a K&N drop in in mine. I haven't seen a tremendous gain horsepower or fuel economy wise but I like the fact that I can clean it whenever I want. A detail a mans truck that has a K&N cold air intake on his ranger. He says he has seen a difference. But I have no clue how much.

Regardless of what you go with, K&N is a great filter. I like the fact I can clean it is why I got mine. If you're looking for fuel mileage or horsepower, I got the best results by changing all my fluids. Rear-end, transfer case (4x4), transmission and front diff oils. I use Royal Purple, pricey but I like it, it's full synthetic so you don't have to worry about changing it again for a while. You get a whole lot better take off from the fresh fluid everywhere and it shifts a whole lot better too.

a k&n intake is crap... its hot air, so less horsepower. get a cold air intake like AFE, or TRD for real gains... I run the TRD with an EGR delete.... some minor gains.... faster than stock (ive raced a stock Tacoma), but its not mind blowing....I also have more than just the intake... you need an exhaust upgrade with it.

Back