K&N air filters

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by eagleguy, Jan 25, 2018.

1. eagleguy

eagleguy Well-Known Member

Is it worth any kind of gain swapping the factory air filter for a K&N as far as horsepower or gas mileage benefits?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Nope

OR17TRD and whippersnapper02 like this.
  4. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Stay away from them.

kp.taco likes this.
  6. DTC

DTC Active Member

I was wondering the same thing. What about any others?

7. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

+1

Bogunn and whippersnapper02 like this.
  8. OR17TRD

I have the aFe Pro dry S filter.
    https://www.amazon.com/aFe-Power-31-10247-Performance-3-Layer/dp/B00I6ZBG22
    Not any real gains or benefit other than not having to spend $10 every time you need a new paper one.
    If you drive where it’s dusty and drive a lot it pays for itself in a few years.

Bogunn likes this.
  9. yukonkurt

yukonkurt Member

I work in oil fields as a gate guard and the K&N filter in the long run is well worth the price, paper filter was clogged after 4 weeks with the dust and grim,the K&N just wash ,dry ,reoil and I have noticed about 50 miles more on a tank and a little extra power on the roads

10. whippersnapper02

Think about that for a sec. If the standard filter is clogged, does the K&N last longer in the same situation? If so, where is that same amount of dirt going?

kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  11. yukonkurt

yukonkurt Member

K&N has a oil that you use and it seams to not let the dirt stay in the filter for some reason ..I just take the filter out once every 3 months,wash it dry it and then put the spray on and reinstall it

12. whippersnapper02

The oil is there to substitute the less dense filter media. That dirt is actually going into your engine.

The reason the OEM style filters look like they are clogged is because they are white. It's the same reason white shop towels fell out of favor for blue shop towels. The white makes them look dirtier than they really are.

Public Risk and Bogunn like this.
  13. yukonkurt

yukonkurt Member

I've run K&N filters for 25 yrs and never had a never had a problems,as for dirt In the filter I've blown out the oem filters and gotten a dust cloud..I work in oil fields and the dirt roads here are extremely dusty .the generators here get a filter change every month and the intake area gets blown out

dscglfr likes this.
  14. whippersnapper02

Just something to keep in mind about oiled filters.

A snorkel would help reduce dust intake.

15. yukonkurt

yukonkurt Member

Not out here lol . Picture the wild west movies lol ...with the dust storms ..it's like that all the time ,,we had 150 trucks aday come by us

16. yukonkurt

yukonkurt Member

Wouldn't the snorkel pull more dust in ...we have a class A motorhome and the AC units pull lots of dust in ..I have to change those filters once a month due to the dust

17. whippersnapper02

A good snorkel head has a rain water bypass which will also let a lot of the dust pass through instead of going down the tube.

Bogunn likes this.
  18. yukonkurt

yukonkurt Member

I'll have to check on those

19. whippersnapper02

Another device that helps with dust is a canister type filter housing. They use those on sand rails out here. It’s all money though. :(

Bogunn likes this.
  20. Frosty_77

Frosty_77 Member

You could also use a prefilter over the K&N, that’s what I had on my 06 with the snorkel..they also make prefilters for the snorkel.

pauljboudreau likes this.
  21. OR17TRD