K&N Drop-in filter

Gonna put mine back in when the weather warms up. Don't like putzing with the truck when is 3 degrees outside. Going to get the cleaning kit and clean first though just for good measure.

K&N AF installed. I noticed a difference in start up (disconnected the neg. On my Batt to reset) upon start up that famous high air sound is less, which subsides about 30-40 secs after, then in idle the "air" noise is no longer there.

With the K&N in, that "air" noise on start up is way less, to the point of not ever existing and the engine sounds like it does after intial warm up.

I noticed, maybe, to me, a difference in throttle response. The engine "seems" to be running good? Doesn't sound "choked"? Feels cleaner in an odd good way. When parked i noticed it idles below 1g rpm, which, with the stock it idled steadily at 1g rpm. Should this be a concern?

I havent opened it up to 60+ mph just on a test round trip run of 5miles @ 35mph. Small graded hill climbs, noticeable power increase, small, but something..

I guess time will tell when its officially broken in and my Tacoʻs system re-configures all that stuff..

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

Last edited:
I have to say that since driving my stock Taco & 4runner both with 4.0's for as long as weʻve owned them there is a noticeable difference in my Taco.

The engine DOES seem to be breathing better. Maybe its all psychological but it seems to be running cleaner. So far pretty happy with this mild upgrade.

We are talking about Air filter, right? 90k miles is pretty extremes for air filter, I cleaned out mine every other years and it get pretty dirty..

I will have to check my owner manual... Around here we have miles of farmlands (dirt/bugs) they all seem toget sucked up the intake.

The biggest mistake people do is over oil the K & N Filter. Once you clean it make sure it is completely dry. Just lightly coat the filter inside and out. Take a rag and wipe all excess oil off the filter and let the filter dry thoroughly.Once the filter has dried then you can install it in the air box. I do this every 5000 miles and have never had an issue with the sensor or with the engine idling improperly. I actually bought 2 K&N's and rotate them out so that the oil drys completely before I use it. I'm located in the desert and we have plenty of dirt and sand in the air so a happy truck is one that has a clean intake. Happy Cruising!!

Last edited:
Im happy with my k&n. I do believe i gained some horses. Not alot but noticeable since running larger tires. Mpg went down a mile or two which was expected with the larger tires.

Ive considered getting a back up filter too when cleaning, but here where i live its not as dusty and my truck is a weekend warrior so not to concerned yet.

I want to get one for our 4runner but happy with it as stock.

Really the replacement of the filter depends on driving conditions and where you live and drive. I see people out here on a daily basis that replace them every 15-20k because it's the desert. I'm originally from the south and working there is see them changed around 30-45k intervals. Same applies to the cabin air filter it it applies to your year Tacoma

No noticeable power gain here, just don't have to replace often. Its a good idea to have the paper filter around when cleaning the filter. The only gain is NO longer have to buy another paper filter.

Back