Less than poor fuel mileage

I have 2017 Sport that has leveling kit and 33s. I drove 70 mph a few months ago on flat interstate (about 500 miles round trip). Made 21 mpg. Weather was nicer in the 60s for that trip. Most of the time all around town is 17 or 18. Seems that MPG goes down in winter cold days overall. I use 87 ethanol mix here in South Dakota. I also installed a converter box cable behind instrument cluster to compensate for larger tires, and computer seems to read correct speed and mileage now. I’ve checked mileage with pen and paper also and seems to be the same. When I bought truck, I assumed 18-20 would be the norm. If I removed leveling and went back to stock, would not be as fun to drive.

A difference of 3 mpg either way in a tank full is nothing. The vehicle is saddled with a cruising rpm of 1300 to 1500 rpm at any LEGAL road speed. Horsepower and torque curves are so far away from those figures it isn't funny. Long story short, the engine is always either lugging or it downshifts for an ant hill and is turning 4500 rpm, neither of which is conductive of good fuel mileage. Poor planning on whoever put that engine with that axle ratio in that truck, especially with a double overdrive transmission.

Mine gets same gas mileage whether in 5 or 6 gear in s-mode .buts seems happier in 5th not bogging as much.

5th gear S mode seems to work well (performance and gas mileage wise) as long as you keep the rpm below 2000 or so. If you look up the horsepower and torque curve for our V6 engine you will see the difference between the torque readings at 1200 to 1300 rpm and those at 2000 rpm.

I'd love to see this V6 in a small car, like a toyota Tercel or such with a 5 or 6 speed manual trans.

Does 6th gear in S mode shift differently than D? I’ve been staying in ECT except in stop and go traffic.
ECT mode and using the S mode gives you a bit later upshifts (holds to a higher rpm) and also holds the loss of speed a bit longer BEFORE downshifting. I find it works for me for all of my driving, even long trips.

Other than that, the S mode is still fully automatic in up and down shifts.

If u put it on 5 in s-mode it will shift normal till u get to 5th .unless ur in s and ECT then it holds shift points a little longer.

Back