Locking rear diff a necessity?

Hexnutter

Hey there Taco heads. I'm very happy to have just purchased a 2012 Tacoma base. Its been since the 80's since Iv never had power windows or locks and I can do with out. But I want to do some mild to medium off roading in New England. The only thing Im regretting is not getting one with a locking differential. I was wondering what you folks thought of the necessity of of a locking rear diff?

Congrats on the '21! Looking forward to pics when you have a chance! As far as the locking rear diff on my '17 OffRoad?.....Use it 4 times a year....every 3 months I head out on one of our country roads and lock it in just to do it along with 4low......definitely out on some trails it would be handy but not a deal breaker! Enjoy the Taco and the trails!

Thanks oh I am envious of the TRD and its locking diff! Its been so hard finding a manual during the pandemic. There must be a type of terrain like out west where its rocky the diff is nice, or snow maybe. People said because its a single cab its so light the rear floats over stuff. If I got serious I'd do air lockers. The truck is so bare bones, in a way I kinda like it. It does have 2 inches of body lift which is handy.

Hey there Taco heads. I'm very happy to have just purchased a 2012 Tacoma base. Its been since the 80's since Iv never had power windows or locks and I can do with out. But I want to do some mild to medium off roading in New England. The only thing Im regretting is not getting one with a locking differential. I was wondering what you folks thought of the necessity of of a locking rear diff?
If u have 4wd, ur fine

Back