Looking at a blown head gasket OR just condensation

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by redsman92, Feb 20, 2019.

1. redsman92

redsman92 Member

Could be nothing however my
    Gut is telling me other wise. 2014 Tacoma 4x4 V6

So, recently I have noticed more than usual white smoke coming from the exhaust. It’s been below 30 degrees for a couple of months now so I chalked it up to that however it has gotten slightly worse. Once the truck gets warm it persists for a while longer but after driving a few more miles after that it seems to only produce white smoke when accelerating. Eventually, i would say 45 min or so it does seem to go away. Checked the PCC valve and that checked out. (Read that sometimes that can cause white smoke) the coolant level is maxed and the oil level is just fine. When I removed the oil fill cap it looks like the picture below, which worries me. IMG_3007.jpg IMG_3006.jpg

Calls for 5W 30 and I have done all of my oil changes since I got it and it’s every 5-6 thousand miles and I’ve put about 30k with no issues. This last oil change was done by the dealer just because it was too cold for me to lay on the ground outside. My receipt says they filed it with 0W 20. I went To ask about it and she told me the techs just put the wrong thing on the paper, I don’t know if putting the wrong oil in can cause an issue like this. Also the truck has never over heated and stays in the temp zone it always has.

Searched on here extensively and could find anything but thanks in advanced for any help. Just trying to catch a potential problem for it really damages or kills anything.

OR17TRD, B-Man and texasred like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Do a compression test. If it checks equal in all cylinders, I’d have a talk with the service manager and make them change the oil again. If that’s still the case, I’m thinking valve seats/stem seals.

Bogunn and B-Man like this.
  4. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Pull the dip stick.. How does the oil look? If it looks like under the cap then that's not good.
    That looks like condensation to me

OR17TRD, Bogunn, B-Man and 1 other person like this.
  5. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Looks like condensation to me too! When you get the hot/cold temp changes that moisture is gonna settle somewhere. During the cold weather I'd cut down that oil change interval and see how it does.

6. OP
    redsman92

redsman92 Member

Yeah I just looked, the dip stick is completely normal. Also looked down the fill tube and I can see oil in there and it looks normal as well. I’m hoping it is condensation.

OR17TRD, Bogunn, texasred and 2 others like this.
  7. OP
    redsman92

redsman92 Member

Ok. It’s about 100 miles from the next schedule so I’m thinking about doing that oil change and cleaning out the milky part and keeping an eye on it.

OR17TRD, texasred, kp.taco and 2 others like this.
  8. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

make longer trips on this next oil change

OR17TRD, Bogunn, redsman92 and 4 others like this.
  9. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Yes. Condensation will form on the cap and fill neck if you drive a lot of short trips. I haven't checked mine in awhile but I've noticed it.

OR17TRD, texasred, Bogunn and 2 others like this.
  10. OP
    redsman92

redsman92 Member

I was at a fisheries school for my job for about a week and a half (just got back this week) and I was driving like 200yds 3 or 4 times a day for that time.

texasred, kp.taco and B-Man like this.
  11. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

That'll do it!

OR17TRD, redsman92 and texasred like this.
  12. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Well-Known Member

condensation. My first time seeing that was on an air cooled engine....

B-Man, redsman92 and texasred like this.
  13. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

I learned something. Thanks guys.

OR17TRD, B-Man and redsman92 like this.
  14. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Glad I could help :D

B-Man likes this.