Loss of power

Discussion in '1995 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma' started by Jolene, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Jolene

Jolene New Member

I have a 2002 Tacoma 4x4, has about 296000 miles! It’s been having loss of power, I know it’s got high miles but trying to trouble shoot, before thinking new motor hah, an not sure where to start! Any help would be great!

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Well-Known Member

Fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, etc. basically all the stage 0 maintenance items

B-Man likes this.
  4. warmfuzzies

From there check fuel pump and vacuum leaks.

Assuming you’re not throwing any CEL with codes that could help identify

B-Man likes this.
  5. OP
    Jolene

Jolene New Member

I have recently just done a complete maintenance on my truck (spark plugs, timing belt, other belts, water pump, fuel filter etc an not throwing any codes as of now!! I will check for vacuum leaks next
    Thank you for your reply

6. VBTacoma

VBTacoma Well-Known Member

Have you had your catalytic converter checked? Could be the cause.

Lil G and B-Man like this.
  7. OP
    Jolene

Jolene New Member

I will get this checked out next, thank you

B-Man likes this.
  8. warmfuzzies

Did your truck feel ok in terms of power before you did all your maintenance?

If yes, perhaps something on the maintenance list was done incorrectly (incorrect spark gap, fuel filter wrong direction, air filter hosing disconnected, etc)

9. OP
    Jolene

Jolene New Member

No the power has been off for awhile now an thought it might be better after all the maintenance done but nope