Lower Panel Texture

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by AbsurdBuffalo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. AbsurdBuffalo

AbsurdBuffalo Well-Known Member

So I noticed this today...

On all the lower portions of pretty much all the body panels minus the bumpers, the paint/surface has a rough and orange peeled texture to it. Truck is a 2018.

Is this by design? Seems to start where all the panels start to roll inwards along their bottoms. It seems even across all the panels, so I'm thinking it is by design? But why? 20180110_132529.jpg 20180110_132513.jpg

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Normal for rock chip protection.

kp.taco likes this.
  4. OP
    AbsurdBuffalo

Any idea what it's for?

Some kind of sound deadening or something?

5. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

The area is rock chip territory so they protect it with a rough surface.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Bogunn, OR17TRD and AbsurdBuffalo like this.
  6. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

One more time just to be safe.

TacoRick, whippersnapper02 and Bogunn like this.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Toyota has done it for years. I first noticed it on a 4 Runner we had.

8. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

My 2007 Tundra had it. It’s a thicker paint.

Bogunn likes this.
  9. Raeburn

Raeburn Active Member

Yeah it's normal. Mine is a slight shade darker than the white paint above it (almost yellowish in certain light) IMG_20180108_1131134.jpg IMG_20180108_1145504.jpg

10. OP
    AbsurdBuffalo

Ah, okay. I've heard people mention that the white trucks have a yellowish tint on the bottom of the panels. Wasn't sure what they were on about until.

Looks like they sprayed it with bed liner before painting it lol

11. jimtheideaman

jimtheideaman New Member

I’ve seen this across multiple brands. This is definetely not Toyota specific.

12. Raeburn

Raeburn Active Member

Yeah I've seen other vehicles with it too, not just toyota. Wife had a 2015 mazda 3 that the plastic front and back didn't match the metal panels, always annoyed me! Went to the dealer to complain but every red mazda on the lot was the same way! Then I started noticing many other makes of cars with the same thing, so I got over it lol! IMG_20150222_173927.jpg IMG_20150222_174015.jpg

Bogunn likes this.
  13. jimtheideaman

jimtheideaman New Member

I had a red Mazda Miata and it had the rough lower sides and after a while the front and rear bumpers and side mirrors (all plastic) all faded more than the paint that was on metal.

That experience makes me worry a bit about what my new 2018 Barcelona Red Tacoma will look like down the road.

Bogunn likes this.