Lug Studs

wholgn

Ok to me this is gonna sound crazy but here we go. I recently had 4 lug studs break off within 45 days of the 30k service. The dealer is saying I installed a 6inch lift with 34X12.50 and the force applied when accelerating during a turn is causing the lug studs to break off. I’ve never heard of this before. Have you?

From my experience it means they either overtightened or left the lug nuts loose and it broke them off

Thoughts?

I agree with you that it is probably related to the dealership’s service. That should never be an issue at 30k miles.
Not to mention that it happened within 45 days of your service at the dealership. That pretty well narrows it down.

I imagine the 6” lift could cause pressure/stress but unless you are running a NASCAR road course with your Tacoma the stress shouldn’t be enough to cause them all to break in such a short span.

That sucks man!!!
It’s the typical dealer response. If they didn’t install the lift they will make sure any and all issues are because of the after market parts you installed.
Another reason why these trucks are best at 3” or less with 33” tires or less. Just my nickel.

Ok to me this is gonna sound crazy but here we go. I recently had 4 lug studs break off within 45 days of the 30k service. The dealer is saying I installed a 6inch lift with 34X12.50 and the force applied when accelerating during a turn is causing the lug studs to break off. I’ve never heard of this before. Have you?

From my experience it means they either overtightened or left the lug nuts loose and it broke them off

Thoughts?
This is Bulls#it...

I went back and forth with the dealer and corporate Toyota - they wound up giving me a credit for the labor but refused to take responsibility

Thoughts?

You're right , sounds crazy & the stealership is full of **** , no1# how is a lift going to cause this ? You added height not weight, & can you imagine how many G's it'd take to do that in a corner ?? Not gonna happen..They need to re group & come up with something else, & tire size, obviously more than you need but still not even close to being an issue , the only way I could see this happening is lugs were loose (extremely) or you were sliding on pavement & hit a curb, someone is def full of **** tho'... (not saying it was you )

I worked with a guy that bought a new Tacoma, a 90 or 91. First thing he did was give the truck the full JC Whitney treatment. The second thing he did was put aluminum rims with tall/ wide tires on the truck, the highest and widest that required no lift.

Every time he had the tires rotated they had to replace the studs. He claimed they were 'soft junk'. Turns out the studs were bottoming out in the nuts and twisting the studs off when you tightened the nuts.

A large rim offset would stress the studs to the point of breaking, as would bottoming out in the nuts.

Studs have to meet stringent specs as far as strength and are inspected for cracks (possibly magnafluxed) because of their important roll. You REALLY have to try to break a stud.

Sounds like during the 30,000 mile service the lug nuts were over torqued. The largest cause of lug bolt breakage is over torquing.

Back