Maintenance schedule

tlavergne

This summer I purchased a 2010 Tacoma access cab, 6 Cyl. I just hit 30,000 miles. I have the owners manual but not the scheduled maintenance manual, going off of limited info in owners manual and Haynes repair manual. The maintenance schedule says to replace spark plugs, drain and replace all fluids including brake fluid. That sounds a bit extreme at 30,000 miles. Do you guys do all that every 30,000 miles? I can see air filter, cabin filter, and maybe fuel filter. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Spark plugs every 30K because they sre copper. Usually I flush brake fluid every brake service, tranny fluid and axles/tranfer case oil every 50K.

The fuel filter is in the tank so you cannot change it easily. The air filter lasts like 70K in normal conditions.

You can get the maintenance guide for free from Toyota’s website but I don’t follow it.

Last edited:
Here is a good resource I’ve used for my Taco (I think I found it on this formula, or maybe from TW, I can’t remember):

https://sites.google.com/site/tacomamaintenance/Home

I just did all the 30k work on my 2015 loosely following this, did a couple items a day over a long weekend, and didn’t take long at all.

Re: the air filter, even without doing much off road if or trail riding, mine looked pretty nasty at 30k, and I’m pretty sure the dealership has swapped them out at 15k for me, so I’d just change it out with a fresh paper filter every oil change. They are cheap, and a good insurance policy. I used to swear by reusables like K&N, but decent paper filters perform just as well if not better and it is just so much easier to trash the old one than taking the time to clean/oil/dry a K&N.

Okay, makes sense on all. Do taco folks upgrade plugs to last longer or just stay with copper? I don't mind doing all this stuff but just want to make sure I understand the reasoning behind it. Any fuel additives now and again like Seafoam?

Okay, makes sense on all. Do taco folks upgrade plugs to last longer or just stay with copper? I don't mind doing all this stuff but just want to make sure I understand the reasoning behind it. Any fuel additives now and again like Seafoam?
Stay with copper unless supercharged.
Some have experienced rough idle with sooper dooper platinum plugs.
Meanwhile coper has not let anyone down.

The plugs are easy peasy anyways.

My opinion, is plugs are easy and cheap enough, it can’t hurt to swap them out as often as Toyota recommends. Lots of other cars out there claim plugs should be fine for much longer, so at a minimum, I’d pull them, inspect them, and if they look fine throw them back in. I did my plugs at about 32k just because I was doing a bunch of other work. The plugs OEM uses should be fine, and I don’t see to much reason (on a non modified engine) to “upgrade” them.

Again, just my opinion, but we are talking about vehicles that routinely make it to 300k+ with just basic recommended maintainable and factory parts (assuming your frame doesn’t rot out underneath you!).

Again, I’m no mechanic, my 2015 Taco is my first Toyota, but I’ve put 1/2 million miles on various other vehicles and have learned from my own mistakes.

Lol @ k&n.
Such absolute **** filters

I used to swear by them, but I always would buy two so that I had a fresh clean and oiled one ready every time it seamed like they needed a cleaning. Reusable is nice, but expensive and time consuming. Paper flows just as good if not better for most applications and is cheap and easy. I like cheap and easy.

I used to swear by them, but I always would buy two so that I had a fresh clean and oiled one ready every time it seamed like they needed a cleaning. Reusable is nice, but expensive and time consuming. Paper flows just as good if not better for most applications and is cheap and easy. I like cheap and easy.

Their instructions used to say not to clean them too often cause the fine layer of dirt that accumilated helped filter the air.

BUILD A PROPER FILTER

I used to run em too. Back in the 90s and 2001. Oiled lightly (k&n cant even oil them right, i had 2 soaking wet in the box still). Anywho, both cars maf sensors **** the bed.

Oem or afe dry for me.

I also used to believe some rabbit would hide eggs around the house, some fat ****er in a red suite left me gifts after breaking into my house, and some creeper would fly thru my window, take a tooth from under my pillow and leave money.

I agree to all. I'm older and am used to changing plugs, points, condensers, setting timing, adjusting valves, etc. Still do that on one of my cars. I think it is better all around to spend time with your ride under the hood doing things so you can identify problems before they get bad. Actually glad to hear this about this truck. I like to interact. Another plus in my opinion. Thanks for answers. Much appreciated.

I like the aFe dry filters. I’ve ran them in all my vehicles for years and never had an issue with them. I save my paper OEM for cleanings.

Back