Manual VS Automatic

Parker

Is the manual transmission worth giving up the crawl control and terrain select? Or is I guess another way to word it, is the crawl control and Terrain select worth giving up the sweet 6speed manual?

I think I decided on the long bed now but I also understand the 6speed only comes in the short bed, but I love the transmission in the manual. Feedback guys I'm ready to buy!!

I like the auto with crawl and terrain select, buttttt I mostly drive on paved roads and at hwy speeds this damn 6spdauto is shift happy to say the least. (Tsb done too). I wish id have bought the 6spd manual. Street queen? And if you like shifting, go manual. If offroad is your gig, go auto with extra offroad features.

I like the auto with crawl and terrain select, buttttt I mostly drive on paved roads and at hwy speeds this damn 6spdauto is shift happy to say the least. (Tsb done too). I wish id have bought the 6spd manual. Street queen? And if you like shifting, go manual. If offroad is your gig, go auto with extra offroad features.
Is the auto transmission really terrible? I mostly drive on the road but I work for the city of Seattle and some of the hills are killer!

Not terrible, but when on long trips, doing 75-80mph on an interstate, it would be great to put it in 6th and know it wont downshift unless i shift it myself.(a manual wud give me that). Mine shifts between 5 and 6 wayyyyy too much in my opinion in the same situation.

It's really all personal preference. You still get ATRAC with the manual which serves the same function as MTS but without a volume control. No mall control but it's a gimmick in my book.

Last edited:
Minor inclines always cause my auto to downshift. And i know 6th gear would pull that small incline fine if manual tranny.

Well I cant answer your question about crawl and terrain select wether it's worth it. I have a manual 6 speed and haven't used the 4x4 yet either.

I had a 2005 4.0 6 speed and think it was snappier in 1st 2nd and 3rd. 4th 5th 6th felt weaker. In my 2016 3.5 6 speed I notice the opposite. 1st 2nd 3rd weaker. 4th 5th 6th is strong and pulls good. It can hold hills without downshifting. It's not a ton of difference it's just my opinion. I really like my 6 speed.

Well I cant answer your question about crawl and terrain select wether it's worth it. I have a manual 6 speed and haven't used the 4x4 yet either.

I had a 2005 4.0 6 speed and think it was snappier in 1st 2nd and 3rd. 4th 5th 6th felt weaker. In my 2016 3.5 6 speed I notice the opposite. 1st 2nd 3rd weaker. 4th 5th 6th is strong and pulls good. It can hold hills without downshifting. It's not a ton of difference it's just my opinion. I really like my 6 speed.

Is it pretty easy to hold hills and such? And is off-roading it easy to use the gears? How about get up speed? Gas mileage? Max speed? Compared to auto?

Last edited:
Why not just test drive both?

I used to live in a Seattle and I think you'll be fine with either transmission.

Is it pretty easy to hold hills and such? And is off-roading it easy to use the gears? How about get up speed? Gas mileage? Max speed? Compared to auto?
Yes mine holds the hills well. I havent gone offroad with mine yet, i use my sxs for that. It gets up to speed pretty good but not like the 4.0 will. Im getting 19.0 mpg manually tracked and 18.6 mpg on my dash with 3 inch lift and 285/70/17 tires. I havent driven a 3rd gen auto so i cant give comparison. Its really up to personal preference or just test drive both to see what you like best.

Why not just test drive both?

I used to live in a Seattle and I think you'll be fine with either transmission.
I did! lol that's what's killing me I love them both but I think I liked the manual best, but auto made most sense

Yes mine holds the hills well. I havent gone offroad with mine yet, i use my sxs for that. It gets up to speed pretty good but not like the 4.0 will. Im getting 19.0 mpg manually tracked and 18.6 mpg on my dash with 3 inch lift and 285/70/17 tires. I havent driven a 3rd gen auto so i cant give comparison. Its really up to personal preference or just test drive both to see what you like best.
Yeah I'm going to drive them both again this weekend and then make the purchase.

Bought my TRD Sport 4x4 Manual T almost a year ago--sooo glad I got the manual. Drive it 70mi a day--50/50 mix of heavy city traffic and highway (85mph). I have none of the AT issues so often mentioned and I simply enjoy driving the MT. Have taken it 4x4 on the beach a few times no problems--lots of fun--MT has done well on the beach.

Bought my TRD Sport 4x4 Manual T almost a year ago--sooo glad I got the manual. Drive it 70mi a day--50/50 mix of heavy city traffic and highway (85mph). I have none of the AT issues so often mentioned and I simply enjoy driving the MT. Have taken it 4x4 on the beach a few times no problems--lots of fun--MT has done well on the beach.

I couldn't agree more. I've had my 2017 TRD Sport manual for 4 months now and absolutely love it. I test drove manual and auto and don't regret my decision to go manual at all.

Trust me - You absolutely made the right choice. Regrettably I did not.

Back