Memorial Day

Executive Mansion,

Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,
A. Lincoln.

"Without the brave efforts of all the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines and their families, this nation, along with our allies around the world, would not stand so boldly, shine so brightly and live so freely."

A moment to remember those who gave their lives so we can enjoy what we have today. Also, remember those who are MIA who gave and are still giving. God Bless each and every one!

I have thought about Veterans Day and Memorial Day a lot. I also thank every veteran I see any day . I think it’s great that we have two days a year that our service men and women have a day that should be recognized. But I honestly think we as Americans living in the best country ever, should remember/recognize our service men and women every day. The active, retired,and the ones that gave their lives. P.S I was never in the military . I wasn’t raised by anyone in the military but I was raised to be Respectful to those great human beings that fought for or rights and morals.

Back