My truck smell like death

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by pauljboudreau, Jan 23, 2019.

1. pauljboudreau

pauljboudreau Active Member

Starting a few days ago my third gen started smelling very bad. It litteraly smell like a decomposing animal has died in the truck. My truck is extremely clean as i let no one eat in it and i am a bit of a maniac when it come to a clean vehicle. So here my question, is there a common place critters are know to crawl into to die? It really smelll in the front of the truck!

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

Under the hood. Probably not near the exhaust manifold or it would smell like burned hair/food. I found a dead cat on my intake one winter In Idaho. Probably to stay warm but didn’t.

Bojangles likes this.
  4. SRH

SRH Well-Known Member

Had mice crawl into my nieces car under the hood one winter... smelled terrible! We didn’t see them at first. Good luck! Hope you figure it out cuz that is not pleasant!!!

Taco#3, Bojangles and texasred like this.
  5. LiplessSoul

LiplessSoul Member

Taco#3, Bojangles and texasred like this.
  6. SRH

SRH Well-Known Member

texasred likes this.
  7. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Well-Known Member

pull your cabin filter and see if a mouse died in there. They have been known to nest under the hood.

8. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Was gonna suggest same thing

WooD, Bojangles and texasred like this.
  9. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

+1 on checking the cabin filter

10. Atomic Diesel

Atomic Diesel Well-Known Member

Yep.
    ...and that thing about Toyota's being tasty to critters...MIL has a 2015 Avalon that has been 30% rewired because of mice, and other assorted, subversive, terrorist rodents chowing down on the wiring insulation that happens to be manufactured with......peanut oil. Problem solved with a healthy dose of cayenne pepper sprinkled under the hood.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Bojangles, kp.taco, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  11. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

+1 on the cabin filter.
    Also, check the air filter. Toyota has always made it easy for chipmunks and mice to get in there. I’ve had it happen.

Bojangles, tinyjew, kp.taco and 2 others like this.
  12. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

^ +4

Bojangles, B-Man, texasred and 2 others like this.
  13. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Yep. Mice built a nest in air cleaner of the wifes Camry and ate the coating on the wires for the fuel injectors.. little bastards

14. tinyjew

tinyjew Well-Known Member

I had baby mice in my cabin filter and after removing the majority of my dash and blower motor I couldn't find dead mommy. It's taken about 2 months for the horrible smell to dissipate

Atomic Diesel, B-Man and texasred like this.
  15. texasred

texasred Well-Known Member

WOW!

B-Man likes this.
  16. tinyjew

Yea the first few weeks were horrible, I gagged often. Lots of baking soda, coffee (the favored ones are best because they mask the scent better I think) and damp rids.

texasred and B-Man like this.
  17. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

1.jpg

18. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do a potpourri pot......they tend to upset and get crap all over.......I'd stick with the hang-ups!

texasred likes this.
  19. SRH

SRH Well-Known Member

My nieces car sat for a winter so it’s understandable how it happened in her car. Did $3500 worth of damage to rewire. Just curious.... are these vehicles being mentioned driven on a regular basis? If so that’s scary to think it can happen to anyone at any time!!

20. tinyjew

Mines a daily driver. I'm a the lead delivery driver for a Domino's, I pack 150-250 miles on my vehicle per day. No idea how it had time to start a nest. ‍♂️

OR17TRD, texasred and B-Man like this.
  21. 1luv45

1luv45 Well-Known Member

I remember one year I destroyed an opossum doing about 80mph. That **** had my car smelling worse than death for about a month after that.