Nearly hydrolocked engine..

OreoCat

So a little bit of water made it in and the engine check light came on for about 15 seconds.. Some weird sounds came from the engine for 30 seconds and exhaust steam, then it was fine, no lights runs like normal. Should I change the oil? It runs perfect now, but I feel I should at least do something..

Also, I did not submerged the front, I drove through a puddle fast (fender liner has been cut at the front) and a lot of water splashed in

Your fine imho my buddy hydrolocked his taco but it was up to windshield in water. The exhaust steam is just cause its hot when water hits it and it turn to steam

It went into a limp mode with about 30% engine power, I had a wet filter and the steam would come out of the exhaust when I reved it. I reved it up and down until the steam stopped coming out, then everything was good. Do you think it will still be okay?

Just do the oil change it wouldn't hurt. I mean you don't need to but let me put it this way. If my taco did that I would change the oil immediately. That's just me though.

If you hydrolocked the engine, you would have bent rods or snapped the crank and the engine would have been toast right then and there.

As for the oil having water in it, I doubt it. But, since it could have gotten water in the oil, you might want to change it.

Nobody has mentioned the differentials. Some are specifically made to be submerged, most aren't. If you were up to your air intake in water, you need to change the oil in the differentials and possibly the hubs.

If you hydrolocked the engine, you would have bent rods or snapped the crank and the engine would have been toast right then and there.

As for the oil having water in it, I doubt it. But, since it could have gotten water in the oil, you might want to change it.

Nobody has mentioned the differentials. Some are specifically made to be submerged, most aren't. If you were up to your air intake in water, you need to change the oil in the differentials and possibly the hubs.
I'm not so worried about the diffs because they weren't submerged, I went into the water way to fast and the fenders liners are cut to fit with the bumper Somewhat exposing the intake..

I'm not so worried about the diffs because they weren't submerged, I went into the water way to fast and the fenders liners are cut to fit with the bumper Somewhat exposing the intake..

The differentials are under the engine. If you didn't submerge them, you didn't submerge the engine. All you did was get your engine WET. The only possible issue you might have is damage to electrical components. If none of your check engine type lights are on, you have no issues.

If you go driving your $30,000.00 truck through deep standing water at high speed, be prepared to spend money fixing it. It is a highway vehicle, not and all terrain amphibian AMRAP or whatever they are called. It's basically a ****ing Camry with bigger wheels on it. Unless you are renting the thing, avoid blasting through rivers with it like they do in the commercials. I always laugh at truck commercials when they show some crane dropping a double stacked pallet of bricks three stories into a pickup while some dude that looks like the Marlboro man stands there with leather gloves on and then gets in and drives it at 70 MPH through sub-Saharan Africa and Thailand during monsoon season listening to Bob Seeger. The guys that make those commercials didn't pay for those trucks.

If you want to do that stuff, get an old DM800 Mack.

Agree. I know that first hand. Even just a little bit of water will kill it.

Back