Need a warm up..............

Rock62

Need a break in the weather. Oil change coming up again.

Besides. Its time for Spring to begin knocking Winter out.

Really dislike crawling on the cold concrete floor to drain the oil and lube the prop shaft.

Ya know, 5k comes pretty quick with 350 mile/week and a couple 600+ mile round trips. Oh well, such as life.

I never bother with 5k mile oci's....it's 10k or 1 year...use to do 15k miles on my 01 tundra using 5w30 mobil 1, and that truck I still see running today on the road. It's gotta have well over 300k miles by now. Imo, with the cleaner engines, and better additive packages these synthetic's have today, you're just wasting money on early oil changes. Our prius has had only 10k mile oil changes since new....with well over 100k now, it still runs like new. Doesn't burn a drop of oil. The napa shop tech that does our prius oil changes says he's got loads of toyota engines using 0w-20 oil changes with well over 250k miles on them. Unless you do a lot of heavy towing, or serious off-road work your engine doesn't meet the severe schedule.

Ya know, there are loads of internet rational to push to 10K OCI.

Although, my Owner's Manual is pretty clear on 5K OCI. Frankly for the small cost of my DIY OCI (about $30) the few changes I'd avoid just are not worth gambling my engine on internet based facts.

So, with all respect, I'm staying on 5K OCI. I'd need to save 200+ changes to hit the break even point on an engine replacement. Assuming I can replace the engine with labor and such for $6000. Just doesn't make sense to me.

If you want to follow the 10K OCI, then by all means go ahead. Its your truck.

If you follow the internet many would have you changing your oil every 3k miles. I'm relying on the manufactures recommendations, and past experience using mobil1 synthetics. I know it's hard, as many still believe in the old school of dino oil changes. Even the napa shop tech here had come to the conclusion whether 5k, or 10k oil changes, there wasn't any difference. I even showed him the blackstone report I had done on my tundra's oil that was analyzed at 15k oci's. It still indicated the oils quality was well within specs. Yeah, its my truck, but I'm not even close to being worried.

If you follow the internet many would have you changing your oil every 3k miles. I'm relying on the manufactures recommendations, and past experience using mobil1 synthetics. I know it's hard, as many still believe in the old school of dino oil changes. Even the napa shop tech here had come to the conclusion whether 5k, or 10k oil changes, there wasn't any difference. I even showed him the blackstone report I had done on my tundra's oil that was analyzed at 15k oci's. It still indicated the oils quality was well within specs. Yeah, its my truck, but I'm not even close to being worried.
+1

looking at upto 50 degrees next week here
that is very warm this time of the winter season

Back