Need Help

Hello Everyone,
I have never bought a truck and now live in WA State and my son who is 22 years old wants a truck. The research I did do brought me to a Toyota Tacoma. From what I have been reading so far maybe I should focus on years from 2009-2015? I am not sure what the real difference is between AWD and RWD and is it necessary? We have a mountain pass that requires chains in winter sometimes. Can I just put sand bags in the back and snow tires? Also I have been looking at some of the used Tacomas and am seeing some that are for sale for up to 400 thousand miles. Is there a certain motor that I need to get? Should I look at a v-6 or a 4 cylinder? He is looking for a manual transmission and something that isn't too big so I am guessing the regular cab. Thank you for your help as it is much appreciated!
Brett

Welcome to the forum! Those years of '09-'15 Toyota had the 4.0L and they're great engines. The 3rd Gens have the 3.5L. Living/driving in the snow a 4 Wheel Drive is beneficial. Necessary?.....if that mountain pass requires chains then 4 wheel drive is a good thing to have. You can try sandbags and snow tires.....might check with some locals who travel that pass and see what they run or recommend. Tacos with high miles like that still hold their value well. See what your budget is and go from there. If using 4 wheel drive definitely the V6 IMHO. The 4-cyl is a good engine but in 4 wheel drive just doesn't give you the power you'd want. Manual tranny would work well.

Hi B-Man I appreciate your reply! I will start looking at v-6 engines as well, especially if I go with the 4 wheel drive. mcc appreciated!
You're welcome! Hope the info helps ya. I have a '17 Off Road with the 3.5L and couldn't be more happy with it. There's some out there with negatives about the 3rd gens but I don't have any. I have snow to drive thru but no mountain passes here in Nebraska.

The only thing I can add to what B Man said was think about what hes going to use the truck for. If its use is going to be a truck to haul stuff and 2nd vehicle then a regular cab might work, however if its going to be main source of transportation the added room from a space cab or double cab could be very useful.

Something else I just thought of is id try to avoid ones that have extensive mods. Some will do mods the right way, others do them on the cheap. Unless you or you're son are mechanically inclined id avoid the high mileage ones. Toyotas and tacomas have a great reliability and service life record but things do just wear out at some point.

Thank you bdarnold.. My son would like a smaller truck. He likes the way the 2007 model looks but it has rwd. I read that they have a lot of complaints, not sure what about? It has 70000 miles on it and they want 9200. Looks like they hit an animal according to Carfax but fixed the damage in the right front area. It is stick shift and seems ok but the negative comment about 2007 models and it having rwd made it seem like not the one. Any advice on which years to stay clear of and why? Or what years to look in? I am wanting something safe and reliable..
Thanks for your help,
Brett

One thing you have to consider about reading reviews is very few people post a positive review about anything, more often than not they are complaining. Even though they are asking $9200 that doesn't mean that its non negotiable, especially if you offer cash money. If its been several years and miles since the varment incident we can only assume the repair work was done correctly. This is just my personal opinion so please take as such. If I was in a snowy mountain area I would deffinately have a 4x4. Not saying you couldn't get by without it but the first snow you'll probably wish you had it. As far as any year models to avoid I can't help you there, no matter what year you get someone will have some kind of complaint about it. Just my opinion again but some people ain't happy unless they are complaining about something.

I have a friend that has an 07 with around 180,000 miles on it. It’s a 2wd double cab v6. He’s had no issues with it. I’ve had both 2wd and 4wd Tacomas. I’d recommend the 4wd v6 for snowy and mountainous passes. The 4 cylinder is fine in a flat land area, but the strain of the mountains could reap havoc on it. Many people have had great luck with every year Tacoma out there. I have a 10 double cab Prerunner now. We barely get any snow around here and the land is completely flat at sea level. I would not take it out in the snow. My wife has a 4wd Sequoia that we would use. I’ve had 2 3rd gens. The ‘16 was loaded with issues. The ‘17 was pretty nice. Just decided to get rid of it to reduce the super high payment because my oldest son was starting college. My opinion would be avoid the ‘16 only because it was the 1st year of a complete make over. They got a lot of the bugs out by time the 17s rolled out. This is just my opinion and the experience I’ve had. Good luck with your search!

I'm in Olympia. My '17 is a 4wd. 10.5 months a year I don't need 4wd. For the 1.5 months I do need it I'm glad I have it.

As far as putting bags of sand/weight in the bed for traction, you never know when you need it. You'll put it in the garage and use the bed to carry stuff. Then if you do it's probably at home and you're 20 miles away.

Thank you VBTacoma and series6.. I appreciate your input. I think it is clear I need to get a 4wd for my situation after hearing from everyone. It is just very hard to find a v6 and 4wd.. there seem to be more 4 cylinder 4wd when I look. I am looking at a regular cab, 4wd, v6 and manual. Year it is sounding like 07-present but maybe stay away from the 2016 model.. Thanks and please keep the advice coming as it is helping me narrow this down.
Much appreciated!

Back