New 2018 Tacoma Problems! Engine sound / check engine light!

TThawaii

Hi there,
New to Tacoma Forum, but I recently purchased a new Tacoma in September 2018. After 48 hours of owning the truck my husband, reported a very loud clanking or knocking noise coming from the engine. I took it in right away to our dealer and they kept asking “is the check engine light on?”..(which it wasn’t) then responding “then nothing is wrong”. So fixated on that check engine light.... I asked to have them turn on another 4cyl tacoma and I did NOT hear the same sounds at all. They even turned on 3 other 4cyl vehicles as a grand gesture to compare the engine sounds, which also had NO similarity to my truck sound ! They had the worst customer service and treated me like a nuisance. They kept almost laughing at me saying “oh that sound, that’s normal”.. after over an hour of me trying to just have them check it out, they accepted and said they would check it out.
Two days later reported “we couldn’t find anything wrong”...
Then, 4 months later, with only 1500 miles on it, the check engine light goes on... they again, humiliate me and ask about how I turn the gas cap after filling the tank, and eventually find that the charcoal gas canister valve is “stuck open” and they will replace it. They acknowledged that this is almost NEVER seen in new Tacoma’s....
Did they sell me a ****ty new Tacoma?!? I’m so fed up with it all... I’ll attach audio of the engine sound too.

Taco peeps, please help!

Last edited:
Back