New Driver

Saturnom

Hi I just turned 16 and looking for my first truck. I know I'm getting a Tacoma. I won't be carrying more than two people often. I do a lot of off roading so it has to be durable and smaller. Any ideas on years or cab sizes?

Welcome aboard young man. As far as year and cab size go. That's personal preference. But I'd say get a double cab if you can. The newer the better. 4.0 engine and 4x4. Some of these guys really know their stuff so don't be shy about asking questions

I suggest going to the dealer and taking a look at the different cab sizes. The smallest will be a single cab. Access cabs and double cab short beds have the same wheelbase. Double cab long beds have the longest wheelbase.

1st gens are smaller than 2nd gens.

Ever think about a 4 runner or FJ? Wheelbase is smaller and you can still sit people comfortably.

I thought about the double cab short bed and the 4 runner but for my work I also have to haul a lot of wood so I have to have a long bed but not as long as the double cab long bed. I need more room for my guns in the cab so reg cab is out. I'm looking at a 4x4 07 extended cab. I think it's the best for my needs

Welcome! I am also 16! I drive a double cab, but it sounds like you should go with an access cab. When it comes to year really it doesn't matter, 05-current are second gens and 95-04 are first. Like whipper said if you don't really need a truck and want a short wheelbase a fj would be perfect.

Can't tow a trailer for work? Just trying to give you options.

My DCSB handles offroad well. I don't think I would ever get into a situation where the extra wheelbase over a regular cab will determine if the truck makes it or not.

Yeah if you don't need to carry around a bunch of people and you need bed space stick with the access, I would of gotten an access but I haul all of my buddies around everywhere I go so

Yeah I am getting a truck with limited seating so I can't haul all my friends lol and thanks whipper saved me a trip

One thing you haven't mentioned is how much you can afford on a truck, just remember to save some aside for basic maintenance once you get one. When I bought mine it had the engine oil changed, but shortly after I needed to change all gear oils and then engine, spark plugs, cabin filter. The only thing I didn't have to do right off was the air filter. I also had to buy new tires. Mine had 47k on her and everything was factory except the engine oil and air filter.

Thanks Byrd I deff need to remember not to spend all my saved money when I buy the truck. I will need to make a lot of repairs and changes so that it's my truck

I'm also 16 an I have an 01 access can and its perfect size for what I need. I also didn't want to be hauling lots I people around so the access can work well for that cause its small but u can still fit more people if u need to. I would also go with a 6 ft bed because I have to haul around dirt bikes and other stuff around and the 5ft would be to short, good luck with finding a truck!

Thanks Byrd I deff need to remember not to spend all my saved money when I buy the truck. I will need to make a lot of repairs and changes so that it's my truck

Your welcome.
You might not have to do a lot of repair, depends on how well it was maintained by previous owner. Also remember sales tax, tags, title, ins.
Once the big money is spent then worry about tires, maintenance items. After that start your mods. By then you'll have good tread and everything running good. Mods can get expensive, I started with the easy cheap mods and now working on the more costly ones. Unless you have the cash flow these trucks are a constant project. Your build could take a few years. I know mine will but in the end I'll be a happy camper with her.
If you can pay it off in full, then do so, no payments. Sucks to have a car payment for up to 5~6 yrs and added interest over the base price. Cuts into the mod money as well.

I've done a little each week since I bought her in Jan and she looks nothing like she did when I 1st bought her. Still have alot planned, a work in progress. :thumbsup:

Back