New here, looking to buy a Tacoma!

It doesn't take long. I just bought (today) a 2017 Access cab TRD Sport V6 Manual. I did my research yesterday, found what I wanted and best price online at a dealer 100 miles away, went to a local dealer with that price and asked if they wanted to meet it. They did (of course they say that, but ...with a little reluctance on their part they really did). My configuration was not in their stock so they found the same configuration, color .. everything at another dealer 35 miles away, traded it for one off theirs and in 4 hours had the truck ready at their door.. Perfect. Even got them to throw in some door protectors, tow hitch and third year maintenance.

1) know exactly what you are looking for and stick to it. Doesn't matter if they have it in stock - they can get it from another dealer if they want.
2) know what you are prepared to pay and show comparative quotes (online makes it dead easy).
3) be prepared to walk away. You won't have to, but project that subtly with things like "I'll just keep looking around" etc.
Congrats on the new Tacoma. Welcome to the forum.

Big question :) is whether this one will last as long as my prior ride (not dead yet!). In 1989 I bought a new Mazda B2600i 4wd (when Mazda's were not Fords!) put very little into it (nothing major happened at all.. just maintenance items), beat the crap out of it (just body dents) and drove it daily for 28 years; then last week at 200k it cracked the head (they do that). I'm rebuilding the motor so it will live again and be my firewood wood hauler. Meanwhile, my taco looks is very pretty.. and with it's new speaker will sound great in a week. My friends and neighbors are still in shock; they never thought I'd buy another truck.

It doesn't take long. I just bought (today) a 2017 Access cab TRD Sport V6 Manual. I did my research yesterday, found what I wanted and best price online at a dealer 100 miles away, went to a local dealer with that price and asked if they wanted to meet it. They did (of course they say that, but ...with a little reluctance on their part they really did). My configuration was not in their stock so they found the same configuration, color .. everything at another dealer 35 miles away, traded it for one off theirs and in 4 hours had the truck ready at their door.. Perfect. Even got them to throw in some door protectors, tow hitch and third year maintenance.

1) know exactly what you are looking for and stick to it. Doesn't matter if they have it in stock - they can get it from another dealer if they want.
2) know what you are prepared to pay and show comparative quotes (online makes it dead easy).
3) be prepared to walk away. You won't have to, but project that subtly with things like "I'll just keep looking around" etc.

Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum.

Big question :) is whether this one will last as long as my prior ride (not dead yet!). In 1989 I bought a new Mazda B2600i 4wd (when Mazda's were not Fords!) put very little into it (nothing major happened at all.. just maintenance items), beat the crap out of it (just body dents) and drove it daily for 28 years; then last week at 200k it cracked the head (they do that). I'm rebuilding the motor so it will live again and be my firewood wood hauler. Meanwhile, my taco looks is very pretty.. and with it's new speaker will sound great in a week. My friends and neighbors are still in shock; they never thought I'd buy another truck.

Enjoy the new Tacoma. I hope you get the old Mazda up and running soon.

It will take a few weeks to get the parts and get machining done. They have a neat motor that was made up to 2006 for other parts of the world. Ford killed them in 1994 and re-badged Rangers as B series trucks.. not the same at all..

Stick to your guns and walk away if the salesman doesn't respond to your questions or isn't truck savvy. Is it possible to contact a manager and make an appointment with a Tacoma knowledgeable sales person? I had been looking at FJ's, Rubicons, 4Runners, and Tacomas for about a year or two. Two months ago, I started making offers. After a recent trip, I decided to narrow the search to a Tacoma. Made an appointment with a local salesman, internet sales rep, to expand inventory. Complete fail and waste of 90 minutes. He wasn't prepared and only located two vehicles. I contacted my son and we got down to business which we took elsewhere.

Back