new in the site .. so bear with me! having transmition issues ! seekin helpful tips .

hello every one ! i have a 2014 limited taco, stock transmition never have messed with it as far as mods to it. so my issue started about a year ago , i was doing a little bit of four wheel driving and i went and busted my rear diff .. it was a stock 41:11 = 3.727 gear ratio is what they told me at the toyota dealer ship.. so after i broke the rear diff i drove the truck on the 4high for about 25 or 30 miles not exceding 40 mph till i got into town .. then towed it home and parked the truck for about a year .. not driving it what so ever .. then i decided to put in a TJM air locker with the same gear ratio as the original rear diff (41:11 =3.727) now that the truck was ready to roll my tranny is giving me trouble as i shift from parkin into reverse it takes a few seconds for the reverse gear to catch on thus making a jerking motion as it catches on. as i shift into drive it caches on smooth.. first gear has to rev up to about 3500 rpms for the second gear to cach on making the truck jerk again from ther all the other gears come in pretty amooth .. i run a regular scanner nothing fancy and no codes come back and i have no lights on the dash ! any ideas ???

hello every one ! i have a 2014 limited taco, stock transmition never have messed with it as far as mods to it. so my issue started about a year ago , i was doing a little bit of four wheel driving and i went and busted my rear diff .. it was a stock 41:11 = 3.727 gear ratio is what they told me at the toyota dealer ship.. so after i broke the rear diff i drove the truck on the 4high for about 25 or 30 miles not exceding 40 mph till i got into town .. then towed it home and parked the truck for about a year .. not driving it what so ever .. then i decided to put in a TJM air locker with the same gear ratio as the original rear diff (41:11 =3.727) now that the truck was ready to roll my tranny is giving me trouble as i shift from parkin into reverse it takes a few seconds for the reverse gear to catch on thus making a jerking motion as it catches on. as i shift into drive it caches on smooth.. first gear has to rev up to about 3500 rpms for the second gear to cach on making the truck jerk again from ther all the other gears come in pretty amooth .. i run a regular scanner nothing fancy and no codes come back and i have no lights on the dash ! any ideas ???
battery was dead just about that whole year the truck was parked !

try flushing trans fluid and new filter could just be gummy old fluid . my transit van was slipping at cold start . had trans serviced at a good transmission shop and now its fine 90k on it .
Welcome
come aboard!

Op didn't list the mileage on it. Doing a flush would probably be the last resort. Problems like this usually don't occur unless never doing drain, and refills when recommended, or the atf is low.
I recall talking to a guy that had a toyota camry some years back that claimed he had a similar issue where he bought a can of auto transmission seafoam, and dumped it in his tranny....said it began working better, and better. He then did a drain, and refill at 5k miles...claimed all was working well again.

Last edited:
@ponchito

First step is to check the fluid level in the transmission. Which transmission do you have? Which engine do you have? What is the mileage?

I would avoid a trans flush. Many times these are just flush your wallet and can create more issues.

try flushing trans fluid and new filter could just be gummy old fluid . my transit van was slipping at cold start . had trans serviced at a good transmission shop and now its fine 90k on it .
Welcome
come aboard!
did the trans oil and filter change yesterday and seems to be doing the same thing.. only seems to be doing it less often now

@ponchito

First step is to check the fluid level in the transmission. Which transmission do you have? Which engine do you have? What is the mileage?

I would avoid a trans flush. Many times these are just flush your wallet and can create more issues.
i have a v6 4.0L , 89,000 miles im not sure on the transmission it is auto tho

Did the transmission have its first drain, and refill at 30-40k miles?, or is this the 1st time it was done. These asin auto's like fresh fluid added at those intervals.

this is the transmission that is sealed and NO checkStick in the engine compartment?

Doesn't matter, you still do the same transmission drain, and refill intervals, just a different procedure for when adding enough new atf when full.

not that bad?
Not That Bad!?!

it took me near-zero effort to hobble under the Gen2 4speed to get at the AT drain plug
wheels never had to be lifted off ground
and to fill it topSide through the checkStick tube

Back