New Owner, Lots of Questions

AZTacoDoc

Hi all, first time truck owner, loving my 2020 TRD OR. Naturally, had a lot of questions and have been doing a lot of reading but there's a lot of sift through. If anyone could provide some answers or at least link me to existing threads I could read for my potentially dumb questions, it would be much appreciated.

Biggest questions I have currently are regarding tires and suspension:

I would like to start upgrading slowly, but still wanted to keep most of the car's stock feel. I would probably be doing about 40/60 on vs off road, but since I'm new at this most of my off-roading is done on beginner trails for now. The ultimate goal is to have an overlanding rig that can handle some moderate off-roading to get me where I want to go, but never really plan on doing anything as intense as crawling.

Plenty of threads addressing 265/75/16 fitting stock. Is the extra 1 inch worth it? (Besides the look) Does it actually get me any increased function or off road ability?

And if I'm going to start somewhere, a lot of places saying that a suspension upgrade is necessary if you want to lift the Taco, but is there any benefit in just upgrading my suspension if I'm not considering a lift?

I will be upgrading my tires from the stock tires, essentially asking if a tread upgrade with a better suspension set up will provide increased benefits or should I just suck it up and go for the 265/75/16 and plan on recalibrating the speedometer in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum there is lots of good ideas and many different ways to modify your taco. I go on the beach so my suspension lift is not very radical .The options are endless it depends what u got to spend .Like they say. "Speed cost money how fast u wanna go!"

Nobody wants to jump in, really. So, I'll give you a list that will not drain your wallet.
First, get Shift Sense Pro. It's an automatic aftermarket transmission-shift controller. It changes the shift pattern so there is less of the lag when you need power the most that is typical of this otherwise great truck.
Second, change the interior lights to LED so you can see.
Third, get running boards. your choice.
Fourth, Get the inserts for the "Toyota" on the rear cargo gate
Fifth, tonneau cover. I like the fabric because of below.
Sixth, upgrade the speakers at least. I got Kikkers.

Just remember, most every you add adds weight. These trucks are not that powerful. Weight is not you friend.

Now enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
Back