New owner with questions

T-Dozzer

Hey guys,
just bought my first Tacoma
its a 2006 v6 4ltr double cab
it has 90k miles.
the information center does not work (over head display with temp and direction)

where should I start? If it is just a fuse, what would the info center be under? truck didnt come with a manual. Could it be anything else?:confused::confused:

Also, what is the recomended service time for Tacomas? ie timing chain, diff and trany fluid etc

anything else I should know?

down sized from a lifted Sierra HD and Im loving the size of this Tacoma.

thanks guys......looking foward to the new passion!!:thumbup:

seems to be a common thing. took this from anoProblem: Overhead Compass/Temp Doesn't Work
Tools Needed: Philips, torx bits, soldering iron, solder

Steps to Fix:
1. Open sunglass holder
2. Remove screw holding console to ceiling
3. Grip and pull down on the front (windshield-end) of the console. It will take a bit of pressure for the clips to release.
4. Unplug electrical harnesses
5. Ensure the you still have 2 metal clips attached. If not, the missing one will be laying in/next to the clip-hole.

6. Remove the 3 Torx screws holding the display/board

7. Unclip the plasic cover from the board. Be careful. They break easily.
8. Locate the '510' resistors and look for disconnection. Mine was very easy to see.

9. Press down resistor and solder broken end. I chose to solder both ends of both 510s to make sure I won't be back in there.

10. Reassemble. It may be worth testing before you snap the clips back into place.

Overall its a VERY easy fix that can be done by just about anyone.
20 minutes & $.10 of solder is better than the $900 that Toyota wants.
ther forum. I give it a shot in next week and see.

Common problem with those. You might want to re-solder both '510's' and all 3 '181's'

536715_10151576693641947_1035189422_n.jpg

Never done it, don't have one but I understand you just solder the ends back.

Alright thanks.
I'm sure it will make more sense if I can find some vids.
Haven't soldered in long time.....won't be pretty

Appreciate that. Thanks.
Truck didn't come with a manual and want to check fuse first. There is no fuse labeled compass, temp, etc.....
Anyone know what fuse it would be?

Why isn't this a recall?

Recalls are done for safety issues, an inoperative compass/temp gauge doesn't qualify as such.

However, there are several manuals you can purchase at most auto parts store for the Tacoma. I have a Haynes manual I use when needed. As for a blown fuse you can purchase a fuse tester fairly cheap, I have one cost a couple bucks. The taco uses a low profile mini fuse, under the hood & behind the change compartment left driver side dash.

BTW the fuse your looking for is labeled IGN2.

Back