New Tacoma Delivery Tracking?

Afloat

Is there any way to track the delivery of a new 2014 Tacoma from the Texas factory to the local dealer? I know the VIN. The dealer says they know where the semi carrying the Tacoma was four days ago but they say they have no way of knowing where it is now or when it will actually arrive at the dealership. I have to leave and drive across country, I am on a tight schedule. I need to depart no later than two days from now. If I know the new Tacoma will not arrive it in time I will leave immediately. (Luckily my 1997 Tacoma is running fine and can get me to the other side of the country.)

I know when I ordered my truck they didn't give me a tracking number, they told me that it was restricted to the dealership.

The sales rep checked at 6:30 this morning but no deliveries, and at almost noon still no delivery. I called Toyota corporate helpline and was transfered to the "escalation" desk who took the VIN, put me on hold, then told me they had no way of finding out anything about where the vehicle was. I contacted the sales rep and arranged for a refund of my deposit. I am packing the 97' and heading west. If even the US Post Office (not a glowing example of efficiency) can track a $5 package across country why can't Toyota track a $35k truck?

Seems like you should have set aside more time for the purchase.

As far as tracking goes, the trucking company can track it. We track our wine and liquor shipments all the time. The driver checks in with his/her phone.

Last edited:
Good advise, but not possible. The sales rep and sales manager assured me that they could make the delivery date.
After I got the refund I loaded the 97' and arranged with a dealer in Colorado to pick up a 2014 from them. Then early the next morning the local (in Illinois at that time) sales rep called, the 14' they had promised had been dropped off at the dealer late at night. So I off loaded the 97' traded it in and picked up and loaded the 14' complete with blue tarp covering the load of furniture and luggage and left the next morning. I am now 600 miles down the road in Nebraska, the new Tacoma is running well.
The next event will be 1,600 miles down the road in Oregon where a Leer topper is to be waiting for me. Will see how that works out.
Talking with the Toyota sales manager I was told that the confusion in delivery is caused by cold weather and trains. The factory in Texas ships the vehicles via train to distribution points (Chicago in my case) where the vehicles are then sent via semi-trailers to the dealers. In extreme cold weather (below zero) the trains have to be shortened. The hydraulic fluid feeding the train car brakes performs poorly in cold weather and the number of cars has to be reduced. During the time my truck was being shipped the temperatures got down to minus twenty-two (F). So the train car with my truck got sidelined somewhere along the way and was delayed. As I said, this is what I was told. Who knows how accurate a story this is, perhaps it is real or perhaps Toyota corporate was telling stories to its dealers. Regardless I would have expected Toyota to know where their train cars of vehicles were even if they were left on a rail siding in Kansas!

Back