New windshield

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Bojangles, Apr 15, 2018 at 4:28 PM.

1. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Anyone had a new windshield installed on 2nd gen?
    What was the cost?
    Not thru insurance

Garrick likes this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Garrick

Garrick Well-Known Member

About $250 for a good one. I did it last year. Lots of companies do them for around $100 or less, but from my experience they don’t last (had a Titan where the first windshield lasted 4 years, ever cheap replacement after that maybe lasted 1 1/2 years).

I believe PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) is the OEM supplier for most US made Toyota’s, and often costs less than OEM specific part. That is what I went with and have had no issues.
    I do miss having insurance that covered glass with no questions, no deductibles, but USAA doesn’t do that for me :(

OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.
  4. TacoKen

TacoKen Well-Known Member

Most insurance companies if not all cover glass regardless how it was damaged. If replacing, need to pay deductible under comprehensive coverage. If repairable (chip/small crack) they usually cover with no deductible under comprehensive coverage.

5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Problem is most folks carry a $500-1000 deductible and the window only costs $250. No need to involve insurance and have your rates go up when they are going to make you pay up to the deductible.

Bogunn likes this.
  6. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^ dead on. Cheaper to do it yourself and not jack up your rates.

OR17TRD likes this.
  7. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

I've replaced alot of windshields.....talk to the glass shop......ca$h price is alot cheaper than going thru your insurance.

Garrick and Bogunn like this.
  8. TacoKen

The high deductibles are usually only for collision coverage and not comprehensive. Comprehensive claims for broken glass do not raise rates.

9. TacoKen

Comprehensive claims for broken glass do not raise rates.

Boss_Taco77 likes this.
  10. OR17TRD

That’s what they tell you.

Bogunn likes this.
  11. TacoKen

It's true, and catastrophe homeowner claims also do not raise individual rates.

12. OR17TRD

They’ll just say it’s a company wide rate adjustment and you’re rates are going up. Then try to switch insurance companies and the new company will ask if you’ve had any claims and quote you a higher rate then otherwise. I’ve seen it happen. It’s a racket.

B-Man, Bojangles and Bogunn like this.
  13. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Did you get one installed? How much?

Bojangles likes this.
  14. OP
    Bojangles

Its curing now.... 250

Bogunn, OR17TRD, Garrick and 2 others like this.
  15. kp.taco

Awesome!

Bojangles likes this.
  16. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

That’s not too bad. My last one was around $300 IIRC.

Bojangles likes this.
  17. OP
    Bojangles

I asked a buddy who used to tint for a reccomend on quality glass install. This was his go to guy, so i went off his suggestion.
    I didnt ask for a deal, if its a good price, that's a bonus.

He was well aware of the wind noise issues some have, and just did a replacement on a 2nd gen the day before.

I asked how often they get leakers, and he said it happens but its rare.... i felt better with his honesty than hearing someone say "ive never had a leak".

kp.taco, B-Man and Bogunn like this.
  18. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

My third gen has no wind noise. My second gen was terrible.

kp.taco and Bojangles like this.
  19. kp.taco

I don't notice any in mine. Maybe it's because I'm use to Chevy's idk lol

Bogunn likes this.
  20. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

My first second gen was horrendous. The later ones were a lot better. I didn’t even notice it in them.

kp.taco and Bojangles like this.