No 4x4 low

scogzy

2012 V6 TRD Sport, 6spd 4x4

All,

The first real snow fall and my Tacoma won't go into 4x4 low. The light flashes and beeps at me, but no 4x4 low. Tried switching into low a number of times and in a number of ways: while still, moving slowly, neutral/clutch in, in gear/clutch in, neutral/clutch out. Nothing will cokes this beast into 4x4 low. When driving slowly with the selector in 4x4 low the truck will lurch and buck as though it's trying to drop into low.

Not only this, when in 4x4 high it began to shutter and buck when turning, then started while backing up, and finally while driving slowly forward.

This is my first problem with the truck, is my first Tacoma and my first 4x4. While the issue will be covered by the Toyota warranty, I would like to go in to the dealer service center armed with information. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

TIA,

Dan

Make sure you are in 4wd high before attempting low. Engage high on the fly while letting off the throttle or in your case while pushing the clutch. Then stop and shift to low with the clutch to the floor. Make certain the clutch is down to the floor. Do this and it will go in every time. There is a card with shifting tips in your visor. Any beeping means that you did something wrong.

Skipping/lurching while turning in 4wd is normal since the front and rear axles cannot turn at different speeds like normal. You shouldn't make hard turns in 4wd when on a high traction surface. Also while in low the engine torque is multiplied so the truck will jump around if you aren't easy with the clutch.

Lastly, 4wd low is for crawling. You shouldn't be using it for snow unless you are in something really deep.

Last edited:
Push the clutch ALL the way to the floor. If it's never been in 4 LO before it's going to be stubborn. Try going forward a little, try it. back up a little, try it. Turn the wheels a little and go forward again, try it. I have to mash my foot through the floorboard to get it to go sometimes.

Thanks much for the lesson in operating 4wd high and low. Turns out the problem was with the Indian and not the arrow. :^)

Back