Noise concerns

I have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma. It has 156k on the motor. There is a screeching noise coming from somewhere but it’s hard to isolate. It only happens when I take off from a stopped position. It only lasts for 2-3 seconds. Although it seems to be getting louder. At a stopped position I put the truck in neutral and rev the engine; no noise. When I shift to D and take off that when the noise happens…,

Any ideas??

If a belt it would do it in park, or neutral every time you stepped on the skinny pedal.
How are the u-joints?

The carrier bearing is a DIY job. The bearing will cost about $120. Many U-tubes on the subject.

It'll take a couple hours. Won't even need to put the truck up on jack stands.

it 'maybe' perhaps DiY...

but do not ever fukkn assume that, boy
do not be one of those puckfigs

I guess it depends on your skill with a wrench and willingness to get your hands dirty.

Oh....FWIW. I haven't been a "boy" since 1975. Please do not begin name calling. Your pseudo cussing only shows small thinking.

The DIY is pretty straight forward. Drop the rear U-joint, loosen the carrier bearing and remove the bolts. Now the prop shaft will slide out. Remove carrier bearing. Re-assemble.

For $1500, I'd learn how to do the work myself. Even if you had to buy the tools, the spend would be less than $1500.

Yes I am considering that option. I did watch a UTube video. It’s fairly straightforward and yes I would have to but a few tools but again 1500$…wow

A few side benefits.

1. Keeping a large sum of $$$ in your pocket
2. You have tools and experience to tackle the next repair
3. Self-satisfaction.

Many repairs are not terribly complex.

As an example. I have recently completed the following: CV axles both sides, sway bar links both sides, pads and rotors both sides, caliper on RH side, tie rods (inner/outer) both sides and wheel hub bearings both sides. Sounds complex, but the only special tool was a $16 tie rod joint separator. I've collected all the hand tools over many years.

Last edited:
Idk, about a tacoma...haven't inspected the carrier bearing assembly closely, but I know on my tundra it was crucial to line the drive shaft up perfectly after that bearing was replaced, or you'd get a bunch of vibration.

The Gen2 carrier bearing has very minor R to L adjustments. It does have a bit of fore/aft adjustment.

I did all 5 U-joints and Carrier Bearing about 2 years ago. Not difficult, just careful assembly and pressing. An arbor press is a good tool for this task.

The Carrier Bearing is just a slip fit.

These u-joint caps can even be pressed by using a heavy enough bench vice as a poor man's press if you don't have one.

Back