Noise from Driver side Front Wheel - 2014 Taco

taco4me

My son bought a used 2014 Tacoma PreRunner v6 with just under 100k. We were driving thru fast food restaurant and can clearly hear a grinding noise from the front driver side wheel only. Before buying the dealership changed the front pads (about 3 weeks ago) on the front due to high wear as part of the deal.

Tests performed.....

When driving around 20 mph it makes the noise. When applying the brakes (not stopping) it does go away. As soon as brakes released the noise comes back (never got below 10 mph). Would this rule out a potential joint issue?

Is there something the dealer could have done on installation of new pads that would initially be ok that could cause something to pop out of place later? Or some other brake issue I am not familiar with on this truck.....Thanks in advance before we start pulling it apart. Michael

Two things in my warped head....

Excessive wear coulda been dragging calipers, which may be what u are hearing.

Replacing the pads is nice if u verified they were actually replaced, but what about the rotors?

Just a few other thoughts; they could have installed the springs on your brake pads wrong. Or if they took the caliper off they may not have torqued it properly on the reinstall. Or maybe they used real cheap pads. Did you do the 'bed in' the new pads?

Let us know what you find!

Great questions...We bought it from a Toyota dealership in McKinney, TX and they said the pads were worn down and agreed before my son purchased they would change the pads (new OEM pads supposedly). I may take it by there tomorrow to see if they will take ownership of the work and not charge him. Just not sure how they will react since it was bought Used - As Is. Thanks.

Well my son and I took off the front driver side wheel and after reading several threads on this and tacoworld found the dealer had done everything to their specs but many taco owners found an additional spring clip was recommended for the top of the pads to fully hold them in place and prevent the chatter sound.......It worked and now it is quiet as can be no ticking, chatter, anything......Check that off the list. Dealer changed all the fluids for us as part of the purchase agreement.

Next on the list is checking the condition of his spark plugs. Truck has almost 100k miles, doesn't feel rough, but trying to teach him the things to do when taking over a vehicle that you don't know from the past. My son has already read the forum threads on the plug change but he could not find info in the coil packs.

If any one has coil pack suggestions please feel free to share we may just change them with the plugs while it is all removed if needed.

Glad to hear you got that issue sorted out. Honestly I wouldn't bother with the spark plugs unless you really need to change them. From what I have heard they are a bit of a PITA to get at (at least on one side).

I wouldn't change the coil packs until they need to be changed. When you do have to change them you can get cheap ones, don't do that, they may work for awhile, for the long haul you're better off replacing as needed with OEM coil packs.

Thank you all for the comments. My son and I decided to hold off on the plug change. He is just enjoying the truck at this point. AC blowing cold at all levels...Engine running well.....all fluids drained and refilled...He is ready to go.

Thank you all for the comments. My son and I decided to hold off on the plug change. He is just enjoying the truck at this point. AC blowing cold at all levels...Engine running well.....all fluids drained and refilled...He is ready to go.
Plugs and lunch is a 60min window with time to change your socks. They are due every 60K miles and are a VERY good indicator of engine health. 2 bats, 1 rock

Bojangles,

Thanks for letting us know how long it should take....We found some You Tube videos and it does appear to be pretty straight forward...Driver side a little more complicated but nothing we won't be able to handle in the next couple of weekends.

Bojangles,

Thanks for letting us know how long it should take....We found some You Tube videos and it does appear to be pretty straight forward...Driver side a little more complicated but nothing we won't be able to handle in the next couple of weekends.
Replace with the correct denso plugs from the dealer and not iridium.

From the factory we have 3 denso on one side, and 3 ngk on the other side.

So if u pull out two different brands from the engine.... Odds are those are original.

We already bought the OEM style denso plugs (not iridium) after reading the posts about how some had bad experiences with iridium we went the safe route. Thanks.

Back