non-ethanol gas

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Series6, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Series6

Series6 Well-Known Member

since I got a company car my tacoma only gets driven on weekends and vacation. Earlier in the year I decided to tank up with non-ethanol fuel since one tank might last months instead of a week or less.

On my third tank. "Daily in town" fuel economy went from 21.4 average to 22.6.

Anyone else try it? What's you experience?

Cape taco and B-Man like this.
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

I fill up with 91 at the same station and try to get the same pump.......right now averaging 24.5.

Scott Wyman, Cape taco and Series6 like this.
  4. Taco_Tuesday

Taco_Tuesday Well-Known Member

Yea. You're gonna get better gas mileage with lower ethanol fuels. Ethanol burns a lot faster than regular gas, giving you lower gas mileage. Its main purpose was to give cleaner emissions, with slight power gains. Finding non ethanol gas is pretty hard in some places. Enjoy it. Lol

5. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

I remember in Moab there is a gas station that had it and it was filled with the rock crawlers fueling up .but I just run realgas in my chainsaw and mower

B-Man likes this.
  6. Cape taco

Does no ethanol fuel wreck the cat?

B-Man likes this.
  7. Patrickoneill9

Patrickoneill9 New Member

Running straight gasoline is fine. The biggest reason that ethanol became the norm is that it gives farmers work and it is renewable. It really is garbage as a fuel and the emissions difference in a proper running vehicle is negligible.

B-Man, rdguill, Cape taco and 2 others like this.
  8. Cape taco

Thanx

B-Man likes this.
  9. OP
    Series6

The manual says we can run up to x% ethanol. Problem with it I'm told is it's hard on components when a vehicle is stored.

B-Man likes this.
  10. TacoTruck2019

TacoTruck2019 Well-Known Member

Ethanol by nature attracts moisture, this is what causes the issues in the fuel system. I haven't seen it anywhere but I'm wondering with the more distribution of e15 if this is what's causing the issues with the fuel pumps. When the recall was first announced the problems were more prevalent in certain geografic locations however I haven't seen any coralation between the e15 and fuel pump issues.

B-Man likes this.
  11. JDC

JDC Member

You're right. Vehicles not driven daily can have issues. My vehicle are driven little and are parked for 6-7 days at a time. To keep gas stable I add 1 oz per gallon of sea foam. With that being said I only do this on during the winter. Cleans injectors and keeps ethanol from collecting water in the tank. Does it work ? I haven't had any issues and vehicles run great so who knows.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

B-Man likes this.
  12. OP
    Series6

When I go on the road for vacation I'll be switching back to normal gas. But when I get home and park the truck I'll do a fill with a non-ethanol.

JDC, Cape taco and B-Man like this.
  13. Tape

Tape Well-Known Member

I don't think it's worth the $.70 price difference

B-Man likes this.
  14. Cape taco

I use Sta-bil in my hotrod with super and 89 in the TACO

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 9:19 PM
    B-Man and Series6 like this.