Ocassional Extra Weight in Box...best way to deal with it?

Bodacious

Ok, still asking stupid questions concerning my 1st Tacoma.

I really like the ride of my 2014 TRD Sport 4x4. That being said, on occasion I will be loading my 2012 SkiDoo summit X in the box for 200 miles drives from time to time. Realistically, 3-4 times each winter. The sled loaded with fuel and gear weighs about 530 lbs. With the tailgate down it will still stick past the gate about 23 inches. Other then these trips, nothing heavy is in the plans for hauling. Also the truck is used for on-road driving.

What is the best way to compensate for the extra load. I'm really not planning on lifting the truck more than 2-3 inches in the future.

* Is there a helper type spring that can be added so that when the truck is loaded it makes contact, other wise retaining the OEM ride quality.

* next option might be Firestone Air Bags? (are these trouble free for years of operation, or another item that requires maintenance or replacement.

* New leaf stacks? ( But I don't want a more harsh ride when empty)

Off the subject, but is there an accessory light that can be mounted behind the 4x4 transfer case selector switch. (hard finding it at night while driving in bad winter weather)

Thanks, for your thoughts!

Last edited:
Best solution I've found for extra weight capability without sacrificing ride is a product called "road master active suspension". I've installed a few dozen of these and never had a complaint. Never had a set fail, hardly affect unloaded ride quality/ride height and are completely maintenance free if installed correctly. Haven't heard anything about the illuminated switch though.....

If I go with the Firestone Ride Rite Kit.....is it a good idea to add the Daystar Airbag cradle kit as well. Or can the Access Cab Tacoma be frame lifted without tearing the airbags?

Back