off road w/camper

rory storm

2003 Tacoma SR5 4wd Auto Is set up for cabover camper and traveling across country and off road but I also pull a 14 ft trailer with toys. This last year It was bottoming out and I think I compromised the stock suspention. So I put Heavy duty Bilsteen Struts on the front and now I have to deal with the back which I am at a loss as Im not sure if the leaf springs should come off and put new heavy duty springs on or add a leaf spring and put air springs with them and watch my budget. The front is higher than the rear now and I have new Cooper Tires and new rear shocks. At the same time I dont want the truck to ride so stiff that it beats us up trying to have fun. I also just put a new transmission in with new air cooler on the front. The camper weighs 850 pounds dry. I have been traveling for years across country with stock equipment and it finally caught up with me. I love my toyota and must act soon. ANY IDEAS?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I’d look into heavier springs and maybe air bags. The shocks aren’t your probablem at this point.

Kind of sounds like you could use a full size truck at this time in your life. Cabovers and 24’ trailers with toys sounds like a big job.

Back