off road w/camper

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rory storm, Feb 27, 2019.

1. rory storm

rory storm New Member

2003 Tacoma SR5 4wd Auto Is set up for cabover camper and traveling across country and off road but I also pull a 14 ft trailer with toys. This last year It was bottoming out and I think I compromised the stock suspention. So I put Heavy duty Bilsteen Struts on the front and now I have to deal with the back which I am at a loss as Im not sure if the leaf springs should come off and put new heavy duty springs on or add a leaf spring and put air springs with them and watch my budget. The front is higher than the rear now and I have new Cooper Tires and new rear shocks. At the same time I dont want the truck to ride so stiff that it beats us up trying to have fun. I also just put a new transmission in with new air cooler on the front. The camper weighs 850 pounds dry. I have been traveling for years across country with stock equipment and it finally caught up with me. I love my toyota and must act soon. ANY IDEAS?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.
    I’d look into heavier springs and maybe air bags. The shocks aren’t your probablem at this point.

5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Kind of sounds like you could use a full size truck at this time in your life. Cabovers and 24’ trailers with toys sounds like a big job.