oil capacity problem

dnjrdn1

I have a 4 cylinder 2004 tacoma bought used with 34,000 miles. Oil capacity for this engine is 5.8 quarts. First oil and filter change needed 3.5 quarts to fill to full mark on dip stick. Second oil and filter change also needed 3.5 quarts to fill. Now I'm worried. So far I have confirmed that the dip stick and the dip stick guide are the correct parts. Working to confirm that the oil pan is the correct. I added an additional quart of oil after the second oil change so I'm now running 4.5 quarts where the specs call for 5.8. Should the oil pan prove to be the correct one, as I suspect it will, does anyone have any suggestions.

I know that the 2nd gens have a terrible dipstick so the reading is almost never accurate.

Does it look like the oil pan was changed? Also where are you getting this capacity information?

Doesn't look as if the oil pan has been changed. Both owners manual and local dealership confirm the 5.8 capacity.

I have determined that the dipstick and the dipstick guide tube are the correct parts for this engine. However toyota will not tell me how deep the oil pan should be, saying they do not publish design specs. Does anyone know how deep, from flange to drain plug, the correct oil pan should be.

Wouldn't surprise me at all for some previous owner to have lost an oil pan or two on aggressive speed humps and solved the problem by installing a pan with higher clearance.

I am mainly worried about the oil breaking down due to excessive heat build up with the level 2 quarts less than recommended. I am currently using synthetic oil and adding an extra quart, making the total oil at 4.5 quarts. With this amount of oil, the dipstick shows right at one quart over the full mark. I figure better to run 1 quart low than 2 quarts low.

Any help with the oil pan measurement will be appreciated. Thanks

I know this is old but its 5.8 litres not quarts download a unit converter and fiqure out what that is in quarts

Back