The synthetic oil sold today has come a long way not needing to be replaced every six months unless you drive a ton of miles. Imo, if driven 5k miles or less a year is fine, otherwise your just wasting oil.

Maybe. but then again maybe not. What you would spend on oil changing every six month is just like fire insurance on your house. Odds of your house burning down are small. But if it does the cost would be enormous.

Maybe. but then again maybe not. What you would spend on oil changing every six month is just like fire insurance on your house. Odds of your house burning down are small. But if it does the cost would be enormous.
Idk about this 3.5 v6, its all new to me. I had a 4.7 tundra that i ran 5w-30 mobil1 full synthetic in for many years, just changing the oil every 12 months or so. It had nearly 300k miles when i sold it, and it never touched a drop of oil. That engine ran as perfect as the day i first owned it. The oil was never real dirty like you'd see if in a gm v8 after that much time. Unless some can convince me different why on this tacoma i'll continue the same practice.

Idk about this 3.5 v6, its all new to me. I had a 4.7 tundra that i ran 5w-30 mobil1 full synthetic in for many years, just changing the oil every 12 months or so. It had nearly 300k miles when i sold it, and it never touched a drop of oil. That engine ran as perfect as the day i first owned it. The oil was never real dirty like you'd see if in a gm v8 after that much time. Unless some can convince me different why on this tacoma i'll continue the same practice.

I'm not sure if our 3.5's use the LT rings, but I'd rather not find out after the damage is done.

The 3.5 does use low rings as far as i know. I've just about seen and heard it all on oil brands, and oil changes to the point its become a chit show. I think some overthink this to. Imo, our toyota engines are normally aspirated, and don't have a high performance turbo, or supercharged engine requiring higher grade synthetic oils, or those 5 month oil changes even if not many miles in that time.
As for myself i'm retired, drive maybe 5-6k miles a year now. I think i'll take a good inspection of the next oil change i do after a year is up using mobil1 as always in the past. This will give me a better picture of these 3.5 engines.

The 3.5 does use low rings as far as i know. I've just about seen and heard it all on oil brands, and oil changes to the point its become a chit show. I think some overthink this to. Imo, our toyota engines are normally aspirated, and don't have a high performance turbo, or supercharged engine requiring higher grade synthetic oils, or those 5 month oil changes even if not many miles in that time.
As for myself i'm retired, drive maybe 5-6k miles a year now. I think i'll take a good inspection of the next oil change i do after a year is up using mobil1 as always in the past. This will give me a better picture of these 3.5 engines.

Not to beat this horse too bad, but this guy does work on Toyota's for a living. I'm a good judge of character, and I find this guy to be honest in his views.

Not to beat this horse too bad, but this guy does work on Toyota's for a living. I'm a good judge of character, and I find this guy to be honest in his views.

I'm not doubting his honesty, i'm just reporting my past experience with my 4.7 tundra that ran higher rpm in od. (4th gear)than this tacoma does in 6th. Its not like it was back in the with day with dino oils where 3-5k mile oil changes were the norm. The tundra's oil was pretty clean even at 15k miles when i was driving 40 mile trip back and forth to work everyday. All i ever ran was 5w-30 mobil1 for years. That truck ran like the day i owned it. We've had a prius since 2012 that just turned over 100k miles, it uses 0w-20 synthetic mobil1 also. I've replaced the oil at 10k miles, or a year since new. It doesn't touch a drop of oil, and still performs like it ever did....well almost, the shocks are currently toast, and I just had the rear brakes done.

I owned a 2002 Tundra with the 4.7 l V-8. I just changed the oil and filter at 1/2 the factory recommendations. Put over 250,000 trouble-free miles on that truck. The extra money spent on oil and filters sure beats an engine replacement. With the the availability and cost of new trucks and parts currently... cheap insurance.

When we took a vacation to see relatives in europe years ago their vehicles were having much longer oil change intervals than us in the states. I think right now the manufactures here are at what they already knew worked. Basically were a much wasteful country having cheaper oil then they are. Its more about profits then mileage between oil changes.

Back