Oil change

I've always had our 2012 prius oil changed at 10k miles also. It s still running as well as it did new with a 112k miles on it now. The last tech that changed the oil, claimed he has others with over 250k miles with the same oil change schedule. I also do 10k oil changes on my 2020 tacoma. I had a tundra for 19 years just short of 300k miles while doing 15k oil changes with mobil1. I sent oil samples out to Blackstone at 100k, and 200k miles. Both sample sheets came back well within the averages, showing nearly no metals in the oil. 5K synthetic oil changes are fine for those in the severe duty bracket, but for the rest of us, it's wasteful.

Regarding that full synthetic 5w30 oil... I used Castrol brand fwiw

For only 3k miles since changed with new filter it appears quite coloured
Not whut I was expecting with first time use of full synthetic instead of the blend

I was thinking it would be much lighter after just 3k miles

How is this even supposed to last 10k? Let alone 7500?
Checked it again after 100+ mile hot highway run in case it was fluke last week
Nope! More coloured than I thought ought at 3300 miles, not much golden glisten to smile at :(
This is nuts!!!

They mainly sell name brand oils unless you bought some odd ball stuff that is a lot cheaper which will NOT have the additive packages the better motor oils will.
I never buy their motor oil, simply because its priced 30% higher then the same stuff you can buy at Wally World.

Looks like my next OCI at 5k is coming up. Prolly tackle this on the weekend.

Gonna use full syn 10w30 prolly with a Valvoline or Quaker or Pennz on the label. Choice depends on price. New WIX filter on order, be here Wednesday. Air filter and cabin filter will also be changed.

I am now on the watch for oil burner post 3300 miles since change
On 317k mile engine :) no full syn ever until now

All oils whether synthetic or not have detergent additives. Maybe the one in there now has more aggressive additives, and is cleaning off some of the crap other past oils have deposited.

All oils whether synthetic or not have detergent additives. Maybe the one in there now has more aggressive additives, and is cleaning off some of the crap other past oils have deposited.

could be? idk
it was Castrol edge brand 5w30 full syn

1690978850150.png

1690978917283.png

Never used castrol synthetic in my trucks, only their 2 stroke oil in my boat, and snowmobile. Their synthetic 4 stroke motor oil was always more expensive than mobil1, so I never bought it. I'm sure its very good oil. Question is, why a synthetic now, when your engine calls for plain motor oil?

54$ is a fine deal for full synthetic

Some places are starting to breach 100$ for that
This is true. The two dealerships I deal with (no pun intended) charge between $92-$129. I chuckle and ask them how much they charged me 10,000 miles ago. Then they bring it down to a more competitive price when they see how much they charged me the previous time and make no mistake, these are independent salesman that will attempt to charge more because the more they sell, the more commission they get. It's a stupid little game they play.

Attachments

• IMG_4337.jpg
    IMG_4337.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
I wonder what quality oil they're putting in your truck for that price. It cost me more than that just for the 0w20 mobil1 extended I bought at Wally World. Dealer here wants $160 for an oil change on my gen3 v6 using the same oil.
This is what they tell me they use Joel. I grabbed a picture of a quart jug off the internet but they buy in those mini 30ish-gallon drums and I can't find a picture of one of these but you get the point.

1691021808472.png

This is true. The two dealerships I deal with (no pun intended) charge between $92-$129. I chuckle and ask them how much they charged me 10,000 miles ago. Then they bring it down to a more competitive price when they see how much they charged me the previous time and make no mistake, these are independent salesman that will attempt to charge more because the more they sell, the more commission they get. It's a stupid little game they play.
Have they sold you some new wiper and blades yet?

I've seen those qts sold at the parts dept. at toyota dealerships, but never in drums in their service dept. They only have drums of the same oils you'll find that independent shops use here. Dealer that serviced my truck during toyotacare used mobil1. I saw the barrels of it when watching them on the large screen video monitor while sitting in their waiting room. When another shop serviced our prius they used amalie.
From what I understand the toyota oil is really exon/mobil blended with a higher moly content. Its sold for close to $12 a gt.

I've seen those qts sold at the parts dept. at toyota dealerships, but never in drums in their service dept. They only have drums of the same oils you'll find that independent shops use here. Dealer that serviced my truck during toyotacare used mobil1. I saw the barrels of it when watching them on the large screen video monitor while sitting in their waiting room. When another shop serviced our prius they used amalie.
From what I understand the toyota oil is really exon/mobil blended with a higher moly content. Its sold for close to $12 a gt.
Good point, I stand corrected.

I have no idea what different toyota dealerships in various parts of the country get for motor oil, but mobil1 is really popular at many places here. Kendall was big for years at all the area auto shops, but you just don't see it at these shops anymore.

Back