Oil change

digdug1

Hello everyone I have a 2015 double cab with a 4.0 with 8,981 miles on the ticker . My daily miles driven is around 6 miles a day and I am using conventional oil right now changed every six months could I get your thoughts on whether to stay with conventional or go with synthetic thank you .

Your biggest issue is the water that may be building up in your oil from the short trips. Short trips= not reaching opperating temperatures long enough to boil off the water that is a by-product of combustion and can accumulate in your crankcase.

Your biggest issue is the water that may be building up in your oil from the short trips. Short trips= not reaching opperating temperatures long enough to boil off the water that is a by-product of combustion and can accumulate in your crankcase.
Thank you I did not know this would you advise like a 50 mile round trip say one time a week be enough.

Synthetic oil I believe is recommended by Toyota for your truck. That is all I ever use on any of my daily drivers. It's fine on late model vehicles but not necessarily good for early vehicles with high miles.

Hello everyone I have a 2015 double cab with a 4.0 with 8,981 miles on the ticker . My daily miles driven is around 6 miles a day and I am using conventional oil right now changed every six months could I get your thoughts on whether to stay with conventional or go with synthetic thank you .
Go with 100% Full Synthetic Oils of any Major Brand as Amsoil , Mobil 1, Penzoil Synthetics,Royal Purple, Valvoline Synthetic 100% Full, and any other major brands ONLY and a K&N ,Toyota , TRD Toyota , Amsoil, Purolator Synthetic, Fram Synthetic, or other Top Tiers Major Synthetic Fibers Oil Filters and change oil every 5-8,000 miles ! Don't go the 15-25,000 miles unless you trade every 75,000 miles or Less!

Thank you I did not know this would you advise like a 50 mile round trip say one time a week be enough.

Three miles each way is going to really be a problem, especially in winter when the engine is colder to begin with and takes longer to warm up. I don't know if a 50 mile trip 1x a week would fix things or not. It sounds like a good idea, especially if you make that trip already anyway.

Maybe taking the long way home, say getting on the freeway and going an exit farther out of the way every day might be better?

As for what oil, in your case, I think a more frequent change with a regular oil would be better than extended intervals with synthetic. Your problem is sludge from moisture, not the breakdown of the oil. So getting fresh, sludge free oil in more often would trump expensive oil left in for a year building up sludge.

Here is an article about short trips, service intervals, and sludge problems:

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/in-this-century-changing-your-oil-still-matters-feature

I use royal purple synthetic (high mileage) with OEM filter from Toyota. That's what I use for my 08.

Back