Overfilled ATF Fluid?

chillymt

Over the summer I had my transmission fluid done on my 05 v6 tacoma. Since then it had been driving fine with the exception that after two or three hours of continuous use the transmission would begin to surge slightly between shifts. Out of curiosity I opened the 5mm Allen bolt this morning (outside temp 80, car hadn’t been run in 14 hours) and about a quart of fluid poured out. I closed it back up as soon as the flow slowed, took it for a test drive up to around 55mph and it seemed to shift fine. Should I be concerned? Has anyone had a similar experience?

IMG_3348.jpg

Over the summer I had my transmission fluid done on my 05 v6 tacoma. Since then it had been driving fine with the exception that after two or three hours of continuous use the transmission would begin to surge slightly between shifts. Out of curiosity I opened the 5mm Allen bolt this morning (outside temp 80, car hadn’t been run in 14 hours) and about a quart of fluid poured out. I closed it back up as soon as the flow slowed, took it for a test drive up to around 55mph and it seemed to shift fine. Should I be concerned? Has anyone had a similar experience?

View attachment 13844

Well, fluid is a little dirty but not too bad, doesn't look really burnt , These 'yota automatics are pretty touchy on maintenance & they DO operate with some weird anomalies sometimes, I CAN tell you that if you ever get any unusually hard upshifts, you best be ready for a trans rebuild or replacement, & it isn't cheap...

Bring it up to temp and check it. You might have to put some back in. You don’t want to be driving around with it low either. Make sure its on flat ground.

Yeah, like everyone else said, run it and check it while it’s hot. You’ll almost definitely have to add some.

Back