Paint/Clear Coat Blemishes? 2018 OR

Took truck in today. Service guy had no idea. Pictures sent to mgr and Toyota Canada.

I offered the info about plastic wrap and heat guns,but got no response.

Wait and see .

Yeah, that's exactly how mine looked (except less noticeable with my red paint).

Dealer had it squared away in about 30 minutes.

Just curious if they mentioned anything about future issues with metal/paint due to moisture... or what any of you may think or have heard.

Still waiting for response from dealer

Just curious if they mentioned anything about future issues with metal/paint due to moisture... or what any of you may think or have heard.

Probably not an issue. They said it's common in cold climates on cars that hadn't been on the lot for very long (my 18 was only on the lot for 5 days, and was built less than a month earlier).

They said during spring/summer/fall, the natural heat causes the adhesive to outgas faster, thus clearing up. Given that they used a heat gun on mine to clear it off, I'm inclined to believe it's isolated to cold climates.

As an update...Finally called back today. Need to bring it in to the dealer again for body shop to investigate before pics sent to Toyota Canada. Pretty frustrated at the ordeal, but I guess it’s the steps the dealer has to take.

Wondering how many people have had this happen... I know Toyota’s paint hasn’t ever been the best. The 1st and 2nd gen 4runners and the 80’s-90’s pickups all looked like this after few years. Never in 2 months. I know Toyota Camry had some paint issues on the mid 2000’s and the 2007-2009 Tundra’s had paint issues due to having a single stage paint that had the clear coat mixed with the paint. This is either someone messed with the paint ie brake fluid got dumped over the truck or Toyota ****ed up. What a shame either way I’d be pissed. ECAEE16C-459D-4E99-8038-79A34CBC59E1.jpeg2319E1E3-D2E0-4ACE-8853-787A08F30007.jpeg

If using the Harbor Freight heat gun keep it on the low setting or you can burn the paint and then you'll have a bigger issue.
Haha yep. Don’t hold it in one spot or to close either. Move the heat just enough to heat the emblem up some and then run your fishing line behind it. If it becomes difficult run the heat a little more and then pull the line some more. Taking your time pays off.

Haha yep. Don’t hold it in one spot or to close either. Move the heat just enough to heat the emblem up some and then run your fishing line behind it. If it becomes difficult run the heat a little more and then pull the line some more. Taking your time pays off.

Or use a blow torch held in place over the emblem and let it melt off. No fishing line or scraper required. [emoji41]

Wondering how many people have had this happen... I know Toyota’s paint hasn’t ever been the best. The 1st and 2nd gen 4runners and the 80’s-90’s pickups all looked like this after few years. Never in 2 months. I know Toyota Camry had some paint issues on the mid 2000’s and the 2007-2009 Tundra’s had paint issues due to having a single stage paint that had the clear coat mixed with the paint. This is either someone messed with the paint ie brake fluid got dumped over the truck or Toyota ****ed up. What a shame either way I’d be pissed. View attachment 15959View attachment 15960

Wow! Terrible. I hope this is resolved for you!

The service manager won’t return my calls, but I have since returned for the body shop to take pictures. The service rep is suggesting a repaint. He refused to acknowledge the Toyota USA TSB re: wrap guard and insisted that wasn’t the issue.

I’m hoping the Warmer temps here bake out the blemishes in my paint and it’s over with.

The service manager won’t return my calls, but I have since returned for the body shop to take pictures. The service rep is suggesting a repaint. He refused to acknowledge the Toyota USA TSB re: wrap guard and insisted that wasn’t the issue.

I’m hoping the Warmer temps here bake out the blemishes in my paint and it’s over with.
Hopefully they fix it for you.

I would find a small area and test it myself before letting them paint it. Seems like a ton of hassle for a potentially easily resolved issue.

Can probably even use a hair dryer on a small area and see if it improves. Can't imagine it takes a ton of heat.

I didn't even have an appointment with the Toyota dealer here. Just rolled in, they were like 'oh yeah, it's this issue. Simple fix'. Took it back, heated the hood, buffed it out, and I was out the door in about an hour. Been perfect since.

Back