Painting grill with TSS

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by Jumper, May 30, 2019.

1. Jumper

Jumper Active Member

First off...my wife already hates this forum. I keep finding new projects for my truck and it annoys her

At any rate. My next project is to paint the grill with matte black Plasti Dip. Has anyone painted the Toyo logo with TSS? I'm considering not painting it simply for aesthetic reasons but if I change my mind, I want to make sure I'm not screwing something up

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

Sounds like you may need a new wife!

Cape taco, ARNIE R and B-Man like this.
  4. OP
    Jumper

Jumper Active Member

If we were talking about my first wife, I would 500% agree lol. But this one is a keeper

Cape taco, Lil G, B-Man and 1 other person like this.
  5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

If you don’t want the TSS-P to work right then you can. The sensor is in the grille. You’d be painting over it.

6. OP
    Jumper

Jumper Active Member

Thanks. I'll tape over that area and pai t around it

OR17TRD likes this.
  7. OP
    Jumper

Jumper Active Member

Got the grill painted today. Looks much better. I enjoy a little chrome but this truck looks better without it.

I also painted some cheap chrome handle covers I ordered that happened to come in today. 20190531_155045.jpeg 20190531_155058.jpeg 20190531_155104.jpeg

Cape taco, JonRod, B-Man and 2 others like this.
  8. dirtytaco

dirtytaco Well-Known Member

I used plastidip on my trd off road chrome grill and it lasted a couple months and the pressure washer ate it right off. I sprayed it on thick too. About 3 cans to be exact. I then ordered the pro grill and love the look way better. I dumped the chrome end caps on the rear bumper too for black ones recently

B-Man likes this.
  9. OP
    Jumper

Jumper Active Member

I ended up not using Plati Dip and just went straight for the matte black enamel paint. I eventually will be replacing the grill with the Pro though. It has a better look to it

B-Man and OR17TRD like this.
  10. OR17TRD

B-Man likes this.
  11. OR17TRD

Did the paint effect the use of the touch entry locking and unlocking the truck via the door handle?

12. OP
    Jumper

Jumper Active Member

Not at all. The covers didn't wrap around the back so it unlocks just fine and theres a cutout for your finger to lock it. Both work as advertised

B-Man, Lil G and TucsonSteve like this.
  13. B-Man

B-Man Well-Known Member

Good job! Looks great!