Painting grill

warakesTaco

Has any1 tried painting there stock 3rd gen grill? I want to paint mine matte black but need to know what type of paint to get. I saw one parked one day and it looked good.

I used flexi-dip in the rattle can from Home Depot upon recommendation from here. Mine turned out a really slick, matte finish. There's a pic of it in here somewhere.

Y’all removed it, I assume. Any tips on removing the chrome trim or is it pretty easy?

I watched as few videos on removing the grille. Doesnt look too difficult. Couple screws and a few push-pin fasteners and the whole thing comes off. Then remove a handful of Phillip's head screws and you'll have the chrome ring off.

Is this flex dip permanent? I have used plasti dip before but it comes off easy during car washes. I’m looking for a permanent matte black paint.

I have heard it will come off with a pressure washer, but mine has been on for well over a year- almost two, with no issues. I went with the flexidip over paint to reduce the possibility of chipping from rocks and armor plated bugs. I like how it absorbs the impact.
If I look close, I can find a few places that have come through. I’ll redo it this summer and it’ll look new again. Same can be done with paint I’m sure.

Ive gone through about 6 months of car washes with the plastidip and have had no peeling issues? At least 2 a month....trying to wash the paint off it i guess, and keep the frame clean...has one of those high pressure blow up your dress sprayers

Back