Pedal Commander

Don Drake

I looked into both tunes and pedeal commander. Depending on your state a tune will not pass smog. Unless you have a tuner that will reflash back to factory for testing then flash it again for free it could either not pass smog or get exensive.

I decided for Pedal commander. Installation was simple with one exception. Getting my 70 yo body under the dash was a bit of a challenge. Otherwise it was just undo one plug, connect two plugs and mount the unit. I drove a few block and did notice a better accelerator response in "city". Time will tell what my favorite mode is and how it stacks up to stock.

I've driven mostly carburated vehicles all my life. The lag in the first bit of throttle application is annoying. On the other hand if you push harder sometimes it downshifts when not needed. This will let me tune the throttle to something I like better.

I've driven mostly carburated vehicles all my life. The lag in the first bit of throttle application is annoying. On the other hand if you push harder sometimes it downshifts when not needed. This will let me tune the throttle to something I like better.
That, I don't understand it, these fuel injected, fly by wire vehicles have instantaneous throttle response. I just touch the skinny pedal in my tacoma, and its off to the races,way more responsive than any carb vehicle I've driven except my snowmobile that has flat slide carbs on it along with carbon fiber reed valves. There should be no reason for any other gadgets.

My truck h as a definite flat spot right at the begining of pedal movement. The lag is much more noticable than and carbuerated vehicle I've driven (except the Fiat I had in Europe, total dog).

Sounds like something is amiss with your throttle body valve. The gas pedal on my tacoma truck is super responsive, and very linear. Truck feels like my 4.7 v8 tundra that I had.

Last edited:
I agree with tacojoel. Fuel injection should be immediate.

Suggest taking a look at plugs, MAF, Throttle body and air filter as first steps. Any of these could produce a hesitation.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong. In fact I've run diagnostics and everything is good. I just don't like the way the pedal feels. I drove the truck today quite a bit and can feel a significant difference.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong. In fact I've run diagnostics and everything is good. I just don't like the way the pedal feels. I drove the truck today quite a bit and can feel a significant difference.
Your probably just masking the real issue with this commander thing.

Last edited:
Pedal commander is the way to go, Tacoma drives so much better as I have a lot of weight in my truck bed. You can really tell the difference. I set my at City only as anything more aggressive, is too responsive. You made a good choice image2.jpeg

Those trucks must have some sort of issue. No way can you make my v6 tacoma run any better....its performs flawless bone stock.

Tacoma is not a big truck. At most it is a mid-size.

Big pickups begin in the 2500/250 or 3500/350 series. Then add a Crew Cab and a Long bed........ Push it a bit farther with 4wd.

Joe,what year is your truck? What state are you in? Where was your truck made?

I drove Tundras for work for 13 years. They got bigger in that time. But with the V8 power was never an issue. Throttle response was never an issue. But Tundras and Tacomas are apples and oranges.

Then again it could just be I like a more responsive throttle than you. So far, I've played with the various modes and find City +2 to my liking. Though I must admit the Sport and Sport+ make the truck chirp tires.

My tacoma is a 2020 sr5 access cab v6 built in texas. I told the dealer that put the allocation in for the specific tacoma I wanted, be built in texas, not medico. I'm in the very nw corner of connecticut, where its at the foot of the berkshires, and taconics
This is my 1st tacoma coming from a 4.7 gen1 tundra. Throttle response is the same on either, and powerwise, the taco has more up top. Low end is nearly similar. I've been told by other friends that tried my truck, claiming it does run exceptional, compared to others they test drove at dealers.

Back