Performance chip will they void

I just bought a 2013 TRD off road pkg .I'm awaiting delivery as of now. I see these "Performance Chips " advertised all over. Will installing one of these void the warranty ?

Don't know much about them for newer vehicles, I know they were way popular back In the mid ninetys I'd check with Toyota. BTW welcome aboard!

What type of chip are you looking at? If it is something from ebay stay away they will do nothing for your truck. I would suggest checking out http://www.urdusa.com/ if you are looking to get more power out of your stock truck. That or look into a TRD supercharger right from Toyota.

There are no "chips" for Tacomas. You can only run a piggyback device like the URD MAF which can be found at urdusa.com. Other choices are full piggyback ECUs like the UCON EMS or Unichip ECU.

Warranty is only voided on the part that fails due to an aftermarket part. Your whole warranty is not voided just by installing aftermarket products.

Last edited:
The only thing those "performance chips" void is the purchaser's credibility with regards to their spending habits.

The only modern-day vehicles I've seen benefit from any kind of "chipping" are those with stock turbos...and then those chips are in the $200-500 range.

A buddy and I went to the local drag strip one day after purchasing one of those eBay specials. With the "performance chip" installed we were neck-and-neck. When he put his stock chip back in he was well over two car lengths ahead of me (as is befitting of a Pontiac G6 vs a 4-banger Altima Coupe). I think he spent a total of $50 on the stupid thing.

Just remember...power ain't cheap.

On that note, I used to run a BullyDog on the aforementioned Altima Coupe. It allowed me to advance the timing by two degrees, raise the rev limiter, and kaibosh the governor. It also cost me $300. Honestly not worth it for a limited-by-design 4 cylinder engine.

With regards to voiding warranties, I was told by the Nissan dealership that as long as the aftermarket parts could be removed, they wouldn't void anything so long as they weren't the cause of any problem. The exception to this was anything that changed the stock computer programming. I'm sure Toyota takes a similar stance...

I didn't think they made chips for our trucks. I also heard its kinda a waste on a gas truck for price to power ratio. Except for the new for Eco boost there wicked with a chip intake and exhaust

Back