Performance chips?

I have heard the ups and downs of putting chips in vehicles I personally have a cummins that is chipped. I have heard that chips aren't good for the truck and so on then on the other hand I have heard chips won't hurt anything at all. I have had a chip in my cummins for about 40,000 miles and never had a single problem. However I have never owned a gas truck like my Toyota with a chip. Anybody know anything about this

I put a bully dog on my Silverado 1500.. Personally I just didn't think is was worth the 400 bucks I paid for it.. You get substantial gains with diesels but with a gas I don't think it's worth it.. With my Chevy just to change tunes I had to remove 2 or 3 fuses and it was just a hassle.. I don't know about toyotas if you have to go through all of that but I don't know anyone or haven't read much about putting chips on tacomas

Well I just googled around a little and I saw where a unichip will get you 1 to 2 more miles a gallon but apparently it's like 1100 bucks. That's kinda crazy... Also do you know who all makes chips for a Tacoma?

Yea 1100 bucks to save maybe 2 mpg isn't worth it. And off the top of my head I don't but I will look around and see what I can find

Yea I was reading on another forum and some guys were talking about being able to custom tune your ecu with the unichip but all that stuff is over my head so best of luck if your getting into that.. I think I'm about to get an ultra gauge..it's only 70 bucks but it's only a monitor.. But it have a bunch of different gauges to display, I'm getting it for the average fuel economy and the distance til empty..

Yea all that stuff is over my head to. I have looked into just the monitor and I would like to have one for the same reasons you do. They are convenient and not expensive

The ONLY thing u will find that will do anything is the URD MAF calibrator for under a grand.
Bullydog got laughed out of another forum after their BS claims went belly up.

if u are pre 2009, u can get the UCONN ethos if gadget has em right now and can drop about a grand.............or maybe a used X1

cheapest electronics that actually WORK, URD maf cal.

UNI i heard was a PITA to get tuned?

The ONLY thing u will find that will do anything is the URD MAF calibrator for under a grand.
Bullydog got laughed out of another forum after their BS claims went belly up.

if u are pre 2009, u can get the UCONN ethos if gadget has em right now and can drop about a grand.............or maybe a used X1

cheapest electronics that actually WORK, URD maf cal.

UNI i heard was a PITA to get tuned?
I have both the URD TCAI and MAF calibrator. Only thing that's a pain is splicing into the ECU. But I had Gadget load the map I needed. Love it.

I have both the URD TCAI and MAF calibrator. Only thing that's a pain is splicing into the ECU. But I had Gadget load the map I needed. Love it.
True, its a bit cramped... im 6ft and usually 230lbs. 2 installs, total bish.

If u have the money gadget offers a plug and play deal, but iirc it costs MORE than the calibrator.

The maf cal def wakes things up in my opinion, and i believe gadget got 15hp to the wheels.

True, its a bit cramped... im 6ft and usually 230lbs. 2 installs, total bish.

If u have the money gadget offers a plug and play deal, but iirc it costs MORE than the calibrator.

The maf cal def wakes things up in my opinion, and i believe gadget got 15hp to the wheels.
The only plug n play is the extension for the MAF. Unless your talking about the UCON which is available 2005-2009 and that's plug n play. BUT he is working on one for the newer Tacomas up to 2015. I think he's in the final stages and testing.

Last edited:
The only plug n play is the extension for the MAF. Unless your talking about the UCON which is available 2005-2009 and that's plug n play. BUT he is working on one for the newer Tacomas up to 2015. I think he's in the final stages and testing.

urdusa com store Electronics-Plug-N-Play-Harnesses

(I cant post links yet)

just for future reference. But yes up to 2008.

As for gadget and those connectors, they have supposedly been in hand for months.

Back