Plastidip

Looks good, but won't last long.

I use it for a quick fix on my flares, going to be painting if the weather ever cooperates.

You're doing something wrong. This stuff will easily hold for more than a year. And yes, that means going the car wash.

I have the dark gray plastic fender flares and the plastic restoration I use to keep the color doesn't last too long

In your pic, it looks like you used glossifier. That's because it's clear. It also looks like it pulled your paint. If this is correct then who ever originally painted your flares did a bad job. Did the flares come with the truck. I wasn't trying to sound hostile

In your pic, it looks like you used glossifier. That's because it's clear. It also looks like it pulled your paint. If this is correct then who ever originally painted your flares did a bad job. Did the flares come with the truck. I wasn't trying to sound hostile
I think there is a little confusion on your part. The clear is the vinyl protector put on at the factory. It was old and pitted with chunks taken out so I removed it and in the process it pulled up some paint with it. And yes it was painted about five years ago because I was rear ended. Plasti dip is far from permanent. It had its place and works fine, some places better than others. It does not stick well to painted surfaces. I lost the portion I dipped on the bed side while the part on the fender is still there although already pealing. The grill I had years ago that I prepped as though I were painting including adhesion promoter has held fine. Bottom line: it will not last forever.

I've seen this done a lot as well. A few people on TW have dipped their lower valance and have pics. Personally I think it only looks good if you remove the front license plate, if it's legal however. Have to have both front and back in WI. Otherwise your front plate disrupts the aesthetic appeal of the painted valance, just a waste of paint.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I got the two of you turned around. I plan to do the same thing. I'm gonna spray my fenders. Probably black, with a glossifier. My wheels are already black. If I like this ill do the rest of the truck black or either anthracite grey. I'm gonna get the gun that fonzie uses on dip your car.

plasti dip badges

I have tried plastidipping my tacoma badge on my rear tailgate and everytime I go to remove tape and plasti dip from letters the plasti dip removes from the letters...any tips?

What have you tried? You should just be able to use your basic car wash solution and a narrow microfiber scrub brush to get the mud stains out. Otherwise DYC has a product called Brake Dust Pro that is a hands free cleaner for your rims, just spray on and rinse off. It does well for brake dust, but im not sure about stains. Just stay away from any thinners.

No, it will not take the dip off. Go to any local autoparts store and find a microfiber sponge, preferable one that's narrow with a handle to get in between the spokes easier. The scrubbing will not take off the dip, I've washed and scrubbed mine many times and have yet to have it peel. If you do happen to have a spot that is chipped and starting to peel, just work around it carefully and remember to mend it sooner than later if you can help it.
I've heard of people using goo gone on the dip, but I would test it out on a scrap piece first just in case.

That's one of the downsides of using plasti dip, it collects dirt and brake dust like a magnet because of its porous finish. That's why a lot of dipping enthusiasts use the Brake Dust Pro, it gets inside the pores and washes the dirt right out. I have to get myself a bottle one of these days.

Back