Power steering leak?

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by Boss_Taco77, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Boss_Taco77

Boss_Taco77 Well-Known Member

So I have a slow leak which I’m pretty sure is just my hose that goes from the reservoir to the steering rack. My fan blows it all over so it’s hard to tell if the hose is cracked anywhere. What I plan to do is put nice clamps on the hose so hopefully it can hold it a little tighter to the nips. IMG_9604.jpg IMG_9605.jpg IMG_9608.jpg IMG_9609.jpg IMG_9610.jpg

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

You’re hose looks pretty worn man. I’d probably go ahead and change it out. IMG_1493.JPG

TacoBOB77, OR17TRD, Bojangles and 2 others like this.
  4. kp.taco

kp.taco Well-Known Member

I'd replace it and clean it all up and see where your at.

5. OP
    Boss_Taco77

Is it just a standard hose I can buy at auto zone or somewhere similar like that I’ll still put the nicer claps too

6. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Clean that engine bay up to help spot the leak.

OR17TRD, kp.taco and Bojangles like this.
  7. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

You can order the specific hose for your truck. I’d search online and compare with local parts guys and see where the best price is.

Boss_Taco77 likes this.
  8. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

yeah clean your nips :D

Bogunn and Boss_Taco77 like this.
  9. OP
    Boss_Taco77

So I replaced the hose today and some nicer clamps. Man it was a pain getting it back on the reservoir cleaned the bay the best I could so I’m hoping that was my leak and I’ll be good from here on haha I’ll let you know IMG_9617.jpg IMG_9618.jpg

Bogunn, kp.taco and OR17TRD like this.
  10. OP
    Boss_Taco77

Alright guys got a new one for you my boot tore about two months ago. Last week on my hunt it got real muddy and I’m guessing something got into a seal let me know what I need to fix I know the boot forsure IMG_0930.jpg IMG_0877.jpg

11. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

The boot is a cheap replacement. If grime and dirt got in there it’s gonna have to be dealt with. They keep boots on there for protection...... you don’t want dirt on the inner parts. Hopefully it’s not full of dirt.

12. OP
    Boss_Taco77

Is there a seal where the rod comes out of the rack or does the boot hold the oil in

13. OP
    Boss_Taco77

Update on my leak. I ended up waiting out my leak and fixed my boot. I’ve been using the lucas oil rack and pinion stop leak and it’s been about two months with a very slow leak and now that I’ve got most of that oil in the system it has completely stopped leaking. I would have to say that the Lucas oil works great for a low pressure leak IMG_1302.jpg IMG_1303.jpg IMG_1304.jpg

OR17TRD and B-Man like this.
  14. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Boot looks good

15. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

Been there, soon after the leak became alot bigger in my maxima.
    Don't fool yourself, u put on a band-aid. Be prepared for an eventual failure. At least u bought some time now.

I'm also unsure if the mixture will become caustic.... Sometimes that happens with fluid mixing. Again, I'm not sure tho.
    What I do know is when your ready to fix the problem, alot of us have flushed with Valvoline atf maxlife with no problems.

texasred and OR17TRD like this.
  16. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

What happend here?

17. ToyTaco04

ToyTaco04 Member

Make sure you get an SAE J2050 rated hose. Its designed for higher pressure and ATF / power steering fluid.

Edit: just thought that's probably the return line in the picture? If so that would be J189 or J1532 hose.

The auto parts store will usually give you fuel line which will turn soft from running PS fluid through it. It slowly eats away at it and it's not rated to the same psi and temp.

I've specifically asked for power steering and transmission hose and every time they give me a fuel line. They usually just let me go into the back and find the hose myself.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Boss_Taco77 and Bogunn like this.
  18. Will Evans

Will Evans Well-Known Member

Well based on the images looks like the leaking line was the suction line for the pump. Or an overflow. Which is low pressure. There would be fittings on the high pressure lines.