Power steering problems.

Discussion in '2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma' started by jprins23, Aug 28, 2018.

1. jprins23

jprins23 Active Member

I've been having some problems with my power steering. It's been getting pretty stiff lately. The fluid isn't low but it could use a flush. I'm hoping a flush with new fluid will fix the problem. Has anyone done a DIY flush or do I need to find a special pump. I've been watching YouTube videos but I'd figured I'd ask the pros before I go and do it myself. Any pointers? Thanks y'all.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

I used an extraction pump to remove the fluid in the reservoir then took off the return line coming off the rack. With the front up in the air, i turned the tires side to side by hand to push the fluid out of the rack.

4. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

I used a large mityvac.... sucked out the reservoir, then pulled off the bottom (return) line of the system.
    Filled the reservoir back up by hand with a jug of valvoline maxlife atf, worked the pump, and kept the resi full of new atf.

Took a few minutes, the hardest part was the stupid spring clamps on the line... that was not even that hard with the proper pliers tho.

Didnt intend on doing a writeup, so i didnt document the procedure... figured partway thru i should atleast video the result.

whippersnapper02, kp.taco and Bogunn like this.
  5. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

That’s creative.

Bojangles likes this.
  6. OP
    jprins23

jprins23 Active Member

What fluid would you recommend? I have some Toyota brand ATF laying around when I worked on my tranny. Think that would suffice?

7. Will Evans

Will Evans Active Member

I would check the U joint on your steering column first. My 06 was corroded pretty good making it tough to turn the wheel. It would turn smooth, then go stiff and back to smooth and then stiff again as I spun the wheel. Not sure if you're having the same issue, but just thought I'd mention it.

8. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

I dunno, ive not heard of anyone using world standard trans fluid in the ps system before.
    Ive seen a few who used the valv maxlife tho.

9. OP
    jprins23

jprins23 Active Member

That's exactly what's going on with me!

Bojangles likes this.
  10. OP
    jprins23

jprins23 Active Member

How did you fix it? Could I just lube it up or does it need to be replaced?

Bojangles likes this.
  11. Csilver3

Csilver3 Well-Known Member

Did the exact same thing!

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  12. Will Evans

Will Evans Active Member

I just took some penetrating lubricant and soaked it. I used SeaFoam Deep Creep. You can crawl under the driver side wheel well and spray it from there. The U Joint is not protected by a boot so it is exposed to the elements.

Boss_Taco77 and jprins23 like this.
  13. Walking Willy

Walking Willy New Member

I tried the flush, no change but applying some oil to the u-joint with a small paint brush (get under truck driver side) did the trick.

OR17TRD and Bojangles like this.