$@&?! power steering pump

RBKromm

I took my 2018 Double cab Tacoma sport in for service this morning and just got a call telling me it needs a power steering pump to the tune of $2800!!! I’ve run the better part of 1.5 million kms on 5 4Runners in the last 20 years and never even had to look at a power steering pump. The Taco has 51000 kms on it (just out of warranty). and has been a pavement princess. Question is; have there been issues with these pwr steering pumps? Anybody else have one go at this low mileage?

I never had a steering pump fail on any of my toyotas either...steering rack, yes, but at high mileage. I'd go to an independent run shop for a 2nd opinion. The cost to replace it also seems high.

@tacojoel.....51,000 Kms roughly 32,000 miles.

Suggest seeking a 2nd opinion. Very unusual for a PS pump to fail at such low mileage. Did you lose a seal? Run it dry?

Suggest seeking a 2nd opinion. Very unusual for a PS pump to fail at such low mileage. Did you lose a seal? Run it dry?
51k km's no kidding. When I saw that, this is extremely unusual. Either the dealer is pulling a fast one, or this particular pump was manufacture with a defective issue.

Last edited:

Nope. None of the above. I was thinking the same that it was really unusual. I had them fill the reservoir and I took it home. I’ll be watching for symptoms in the future.

Nope. None of the above. I was thinking the same that it was really unusual. I had them fill the reservoir and I took it home. I’ll be watching for symptoms in the future.
Why did the reservoir need filling? Gotta be a leak somewhere. PS fluid just doesn't vanish

Why did the reservoir need filling? Gotta be a leak somewhere. PS fluid just doesn't vanish

True…. Service mgr was saying it must be leaking internally! I’m a bit challenged to understand where the PS fluid would be “internally”. I’m just gonna keep an eye on it to see if I have any evidence of leaking.

True…. Service mgr was saying it must be leaking internally! I’m a bit challenged to understand where the PS fluid would be “internally”. I’m just gonna keep an eye on it to see if I have any evidence of leaking.
That'd be quite a feat. Me thinks you need a new dealer.

"leaking internally" is mechanic language for "I have no idea where the fluid went......"

2nd Opinion is needed.

Did the PS pump have a high pitched whine or squealing noise?

"leaking internally" is mechanic language for "I have no idea where the fluid went......"

2nd Opinion is needed.

No symptoms of failure whatsoever. I’m gonna watch it a bit more closely to see if there’s something I’ve missed.

2nd Opinion is needed.

No symptoms of failure whatsoever. I’m gonna watch it a bit more closely to see if there’s something I’ve missed.

2nd Opinion is needed.

2nd Opinion is needed.

2nd Opinion is needed.

2nd Opinion is needed.

Sorry for the multiple copies of those posts. I’ve been getting a server error message when trying to post and it appears that my posts are loading even with the server error

Back