Purchase advice for newbie

Dagny

Hi, I am about to buy my first Tacoma. From what I can tell, the 2014 will be same as 2013. Any idea if pricing get much more competitive if I wait until 2014 released? I have never bought a new Toyota...my impression is there won't be any discount that I could not get today. Any advice?

Thanks

Your probably right about the discount. When the Toyota's are first released for the next year, their prices are usually not going to move off of Toyota's MSRP too much. The best thing to do IMO would be to either buy a 2013 now, or wait until a holiday and buy. Cuz usually on holidays the dealerships will have a sale, or some really good deals to use.. Good luck.

The general rule is to buy on the last of the month or even end of the year. But it's hard to get Toyota down on price.

Check out truecar.com and edmunds.com for average sales price history of the truck equipped the way you want it.

Are you a recent college grad by chance? When I bought Toyota offered 1K off for that, thanks to my wife. I talked them down as much as I could before bringing that up too.

Good luck!

A few days before the end of each month or year end will be a better negotiation tool for sure. The sealership wants to close the month with the highest amounts of sales as possible. That means they need you to buy a vehicle off the lot, not ordered in from another location.

Bring you lunch it can take awhile to get them to lower the price, you just got to wear them down and just walk away if they do not meet your expectations. I was there 5 hours; however, was able to raise my trade-in from $9,000 to $12,000 and the first offer on the Tacoma started at $28,800 and got it lowered to $28,188. I did this by telling them the lowest price received from my phone quotes less $200.

I found my best deal 47 miles from my house and will have all my warrantee services done at another Toyota dealership 3 miles from my house. The close one had a fair price on the new vehicle; but, a slap in the face for my trade-in value which is common in most dealerships. Used car sales work off new car sale with trade-in to stay alive.

If you have not already done so, get a brochure and look at all the options and select the features and drive train you prefer so you will be comparing apples to apples on the price. Most dealers have Internet sales; so go to their web-site to see their inventory. Call and get phone pricing from 3-4 dealerships just to get a general ideal who is offering the lowest price without mentioning any trade-in. Once you have established a fair going rate on the vehicle you will know where negotiations need to start. Cars.com is also another way to search for pricing on new, used and trade-in values as well.

If you are not paying cash, go to your bank and get pre-approved for a load and interest rate you qualify for. The dealership also makes money on the side by financing the vehicle and selling you extended warranties. These extended warranties are smoke and mirrors in my opinion because you have 3 year or 36K bumper to bumper and 5 year drive train on a new vehicle.

Their premium 8 year extended warranty is around $1,300; however, they fail to mention it includes the already factory warranty you already have. So what I am saying it is not the full 8 years. Your bank should be able to consult with you about the pit falls of extended warranties with dealerships and the price you should pay for the new vehicle as well. Do your homework on this issue so you do not get taken to the cleaners. Also if you decline the extended warranty they will most likely lower the price 2 or 3 hundred dollars in an effort for you to buy it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you are prior or current military and belong to USAA you can use the car buying service for predetermined discounts. I got 3,500 of MSRP before the deal started.

Silver Streak is definitely right about the extended warranty. I upgraded to the platinum package coverage when I bought my used 2011, thinking is covered just about everything. Didn't look close enough at the fine print when reading the coverage, but its pretty limited to what they actually will pay for, which is very little.

This was my first time buying a new(ish) vehicle from a dealer that I have to finance, so it was a big step for me. I was so excited they gave me the deal I was looking for didn't pay too close attention to the warranty. Same with the trade in too, I got robbed with my trade in. I wish I had fought harder for my trade, but it put my payment right where I wanted it.

All that aside, im happy with my purchase. Just dont let them push you around and good luck!

Yeah, I was considering a certified per-owned 2012 Tacoma with 15,000 miles on it and they wanted $27,000. That's when I started wondering how much a brand new one would cost. For $1,200 more I opted for the 2013 and got a lot more whistles and bells as well. :)

I knew what I wanted and was willing to pay. I knew what a fair trade-in would be. The rest of it is just games and "Sales&Finance" trying to make a living. I am a fair person but my feet are firmly planted, my arms are crossed, and I wear a disgusted scowl on my face through the whole process. I personally have no need for S&F and I need to find a way to get them out of the process.

Back