Rack and pinion

858_tacoma_guy

So I have 33" tires on my taco and my friend recommends that I get a better quality rack and pinion for my Tacoma diff. Keep in mind I have a TRD sport model Tacoma (2007). He says that it prevents future problems. I wanna hear what you guys have to say, my buddy drives a Chevy, I'll take my luck with people that drive tacos lol

So I have 33" tires on my taco and my friend recommends that I get a better quality rack and pinion for my Tacoma diff. Keep in mind I have a TRD sport model Tacoma (2007). He says that it prevents future problems. I wanna hear what you guys have to say, my buddy drives a Chevy, I'll take my luck with people that drive tacos lol
What kind of future problems is he talking about? MOOG makes good stuff and life time warrant. I tend to not fix or replace unless it's broke.

What kind of future problems is he talking about? MOOG makes good stuff and life time warrant. I tend to not fix or replace unless it's broke.

He's talking about the diff gears. Saying i need to replace it with something stronger or it'll break. Told him I run 33" for 7 months no problems. But when he got bigger tires for his Chevy his diff broke.

He's talking about the diff gears. Saying i need to replace it with something stronger or it'll break. Told him I run 33" for 7 months no problems. But when he got bigger tires for his Chevy his diff broke.
Not the rack and pinion. The diff gears are completely different. Your gears are fine they aren't going to break. The only thing that happens when you add larger tires is the gear ratio changes. Not physically change but the stock gearing will act like a higher gear. You could get a lower gear like a 4:56 or a 4:88 to get closer to the stock ratio with the larger tires. Not needed, your diff gears are not going to break with 33" tires.

Last edited:
Not the rack and pinion. The diff gears are completely different. Your gears are fine they aren't going to break. The only thing that happens when you add larger tires is the gear ratio changes. Not physically change but the stock gearing will act like a higher gear. You could get a lower gear like a 4:56 or a 4:88 to get closer to the stock ratio with the larger tires. Not needed, your diff gears are not going to break with 33" tires.

Thank you for the advice![emoji1303]

Don't listen to that friend for vehicle advice. There are countless Tacoma owners running larger tires on stock gears. When they regear it's just to get back the power lost from running larger/heavier tires.

Ring and pinion is the term for gears. Pinion gear on the left and ring gear on the right.

m-4209-88355_385x270.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. These gentlemen are correct (like always). I’ve ran oversized tires on Tacos and never had an issue. OR17TRD and whippersnapper02 are dead on.

Yep these guys are right. I ran 10ply 33s on my Tacoma for a LONG time never had issues at all. Only thing I didn't like was the sluggishness and MPG hit. That's why I went back to a smaller tire..

Yep these guys are right. I ran 10ply 33s on my Tacoma for a LONG time never had issues at all. Only thing I didn't like was the sluggishness and MPG hit. That's why I went back to a smaller tire..

You can almost run faster than a 2.7 with the 33’s. But man those little motors run forever and will climb a tree.

I run larger tires. Stock OEM gears. 101,000 miles and not a skip to worry about. The 1 owner before me had 35's but I went with 285 to help with tight cornering off road.

Back