Rack recommendations

Discussion in 'General Tacoma Discussion' started by TacomaMaverick, Jun 3, 2018.

1. TacomaMaverick

TacomaMaverick Active Member

My 2008 Tacoma doesn’t have a roof rack and I’m planning on getting a kayak any recommendations on some good roof racks or even any thoughts on how to transport a 10ft kayak thanks

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Have you thought about a bed rack?

4. OP
    TacomaMaverick

I could probably do that just depending on the price ranges I believe a bed rack would be better. I’m open to that idea do you have any websites I could look at some?

TacoHog17 likes this.
  5. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

amazon.com

TacomaMaverick likes this.
  6. mcklovin77

mcklovin77 Well-Known Member

They sell ladder racks for 85$ but I had to chop off about 6inches and do some welding. The cheap ones are about 6inches above the roof and i didn't like the look. I got a 12ft tandem kayak and a little roof rack doesn't cut it. I've got pics of you need to see mine

7. mcklovin77

I had to cut the end tubes almost all the way down cause it was in the way of my kayak attachments. Since the back is a tube style ladder rack when you slide the kayak off the rear kayak bracket tilts and makes it easier to load and unload by yourself. I didn't plan it that way but I'll take it lol. 20180518_203747.jpeg

8. Bojangles

Bojangles Well-Known Member

4dr or access cab?

OR17TRD likes this.
  9. OP
    TacomaMaverick

It’s a 4 door

10. OP
    TacomaMaverick

Could I get a link to that bed rack I would like to look into it

11. mcklovin77

It's on ebay. I'll check, I just typed in ladder rack

12. Omega-AV

Omega-AV Member

IMG_6069.jpg IMG_6071.jpg View attachment 18535 Yakima Landing pads bolted direct to the roof and a mega warrior basket with an extension. I can hold 250 pounds easy. With the Q Clips the weight rating is only 125 but this has held over 300 pounds with no issues. I had the same setup on my 2008 and my 2014. This is on a 2017. Really easy to install.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  13. OP
    TacomaMaverick

So is that what I would look up Yakima landing or a mega warrior basket

14. Cape taco

Cape taco Well-Known Member

Found this one online it looks pretty sweet Screenshot_2018-06-09-12-51-50.png