Random acceleration when cruising

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by eaglecurt, Nov 2, 2018.

1. eaglecurt

eaglecurt New Member

Sometimes,not in a high rpm my Tacoma accelerates on its own while cruising. Any thoughts? 2016 Trd 4x4 manual trans.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Do you have stacked floor mats? Are you using cruise control? How much acceleration are we talking?

4. OP
    eaglecurt

eaglecurt New Member

No, it’s the trans. When I’m going up to speed at moderate rpm sometimes it accelerates suddenly. Similar to a Honda with vtech when shifting through high rpm.

5. Joisey

Joisey Member

Is actual road speed increasing, or just engine RPM?

You didn't state if you have the 4 cyl or the V6. My 2018 auto V6 will take off like a scalded cat when it hits about 3600 rpm. Does it every time.

6. whippersnapper02

If it's the V6, then probably just the ECU switching injection modes.

yvesmartin and OR17TRD like this.
  7. OP
    eaglecurt

eaglecurt New Member

Correct. It’s the V6. I was thinking ECU as well. Nothing abnormal.

8. whippersnapper02

Some have reported a slight surge when it happens. The manual tranny will transmit that surge more directly than an auto. The explanation was the switch to all 12 injectors firing or something like that.

Bogunn likes this.
  9. OP
    eaglecurt

eaglecurt New Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the help.