Re-geared ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Off-Road' started by kingofthetaco, Aug 22, 2017.

1. kingofthetaco

kingofthetaco Well-Known Member

Has anyone re-geared their taco, for whatever reason?

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Many people have. What's your concern?

4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

Most people are going to do it to get the truck as close to a stock gear ratio after adding larger tires. This will return some of the power and MPG lost from the larger tires. 33" tires 4:56 gears, 35" tires 4:88-5:29. I haven't done it to my 2017 yet. Last I looked I could only find 4:88 gears for the third gen. If I was going to re gear I'd want 4:56 for the 285/75/16 and 3" lift.

4wd and Tacoman112 like this.
  5. OP
    kingofthetaco

kingofthetaco Well-Known Member

Just curious of the results and if it's worth it.

6. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Most do it out of a need due to larger tires like mentioned by OR17TRD but usually 35" tires or larger. You can do a small change for 33s but keep in mind that it will run you about $1000 minimum for the gears and labor. Double if you are 4wd.

4wd likes this.
  7. OreoCat

OreoCat Well-Known Member

Not yet, soon to be on 5.29s hopefully though

8. 4wd

4wd Well-Known Member

Good analogy Whip, you is a smart cookie after all haha...

whippersnapper02 likes this.